hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi all

Hi guys, I'm Tony from the UK. just got myself a 1979 xs1100sf project bike to play with. needs a bit of work but it'll keep me busy for a while. this will be my 4th xs1100 and it'll keep my 1980 GSX1100 company.

Hi Tony, welcome aboard! The 79sf is definitely a favorite of mine. Hope the project turns out well.
    1979 XS1100SF - AKA 500 Special
    Bike Pics: https://qq0u.app.link/Fcucd6JL6V

Comment

Welcome to the madness! I take it the UK site isn't as active as it used to be. I know Brian left us WAY too early, and that may be part of it. The SF is a one year only bike for a lot of "body" parts, so keep that in mind as you are looking for bits and bobs.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks guys, the bike came with some sort of aftermarket seat that doesn't fit very well !!!!! the OEM seat over in the UK is rare and just can't find one, same as the chrome grab rail. it also came with the later aluminium grab rail. so will use them till i find the right ones.
        this is a pic from the seller, does anyone recognize the exhaust system ?

Last edited by Tonyxs11; 10-08-2022, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I didn't like the slash cut pipes so cut them flush, I think they look much better,
          and has anyone ever seen an XS1100 with a braced swingarm ?

Comment

The '79 seat has the back covered, like the plastic bit on the Standard, but it's part of the seat. The newer specials have an open back, as the tail lamp sits there. I had to modify the seat pan on my special, as the PO had put an '80 seat on it. Let me know and I'll re-post photos of what I needed to do so the seat works. I LIKE the rear swingarm! I have a '78 I want to do that with.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              The '79 seat has the back covered, like the plastic bit on the Standard, but it's part of the seat. The newer specials have an open back, as the tail lamp sits there. I had to modify the seat pan on my special, as the PO had put an '80 seat on it. Let me know and I'll re-post photos of what I needed to do so the seat works. I LIKE the rear swingarm! I have a '78 I want to do that with.
              cheers Ray, yeah i know what seat it should have but they are really hard to find over in the UK !!!! but the seat I have is closest to the later bikes and it follows the lines on the aluminium grab rail but the gap is way to big !!!!
              work in progress.

Comment

https://texavina.com/xs1100-special-79/ Texavina has seats for the '79 Special if you're not trying to do a 400 point restoration. WELCOME!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X