Best route to registering an untitled bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best route to registering an untitled bike

I'm sure it's different from state to state, but I was curious what kind of hoops you all have had to jump through to get a title for a titleless bike. In Illinois you can get what they call a "title obtained by bond"; it's a real pain though. they require the following:

-Bill of Sale
    -Written Appraisal from a dealer as to the value of the bike
    -A bond in the amount of 1.5 times the appraised value
    -Application
    -Fee

The idea is that if the rightful owner comes along, they can be compensated monetarily for the bike from your bond money. The state then holds your money for three years.

This sounds far to complicated and not quite right to me.

I've also had some luck trying to locate the last registered owner but this can sometimes lead to other problems. Does anybody know of a more painless way to aquire a title? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
    1980 XS 1100 Standard
    1980 XS 1100 Special
    1982 XJ 1100
    1972 Honda CB 350

go to a used cycle salvage. get a bare frame with a title and get to swappin.

Comment

Have 1981 xs1100 frame with title in my name.Checked with UPS for shipping quote to chicago. Estimate is approx would need exact zip code for proper quote. $Shipping $101.50 This is probably a quote for UPS drop not home delivery. You would get a bare frame,no triple tree,no battery box ,stripped right down with title and a signed transfer paper. I need $90.00 plus shipping. e-mail to andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

you looking at buying a bike of ebay that dont have a title
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

someone mentioned International Title Company, out of Las Vegas. You sell them the bike with a bill of sale, they title it in their name, and sell it back to you for $75. Appears you can do such things in Las Vegas... sell bikes with just a bill of sale. They obviously must do the title search, etc.(if the bike's not listed as stolen... then it's yours/ then theirs/ then yours again, legally.)
          I haven't used their services yet, but may well do so in the future. You'd just have to take the Nevada title they sell to you to the licensing joint and have it put in your name with an Illinios one
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

No it's not for me; a friend of mine just picked up a "parts" bike and we just got it running pretty well. Seems a shame to part her out now. I suppose I could buy it off him and just switch plates back and forth; I can only ride one at a time right.

Thanks for the offer on the frame. I'll mention it to and see what he thinks. I think he'd prefer to get it registered without swapping frames. I suppose International Title Company is worth a try. I'll let you all know how it works out if he decides to go this route.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Hey Andreashweiss,

You can keep the Frame. How much you want for just the title? It ought to save a bit on shipping if nothing else and it shouldn't be much of a problem until he goes to sell it and maybe not even then. I'm not sure that I've actually ever checked that the VIN on my title matches my bike.
              1980 XS 1100 Standard
              1980 XS 1100 Special
              1982 XJ 1100
              1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

When switching titles from Mississippi to Ohio I had to take the bike to a car dealer that charged me two bucks to fill out a form. He checked the title against the stamp by the triple tree, signed the form so I could take it to BMV.
                Its called an out of state title transfer form.
                If you sell it in state its ok but if you sell it to someone that doesn't check then they sell it to someone else out of state then your both screwed for fraudulant business practice. Better to pay the 75 bucks and do it the Vegas way
                -Scott
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100
                Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

I'm not sure that I've actually ever checked that the VIN on my title matches my bike.
                  I've had my XJ inspected for VIN number three times now:

Purchased in Maine, to get Wisconsin title.
                  Moved from Wisconsin to Arizona, inspected for Arizona title.
                  Moved from Arizona to Colorqado, inspected for Colorado title.

First 2 inspections were done by State Patrol, Colorado inspection done by an approved dealership. It was on the first inspection that 2 numbers were transposed, and I was lucky enough that the Maine owner could file a correction. I had to send digital photos of the VIN tag to Main to get it done.

So if you are thinking of moving between states, or selling to an out of state buyer, the title should match the VIN or you will end up with a real can of worms trying to get a clear title.

There are also insurance concerns; your insurance is by VIN, and if the number you supplied to the insurance company doesn't exactly match the bike, you will, in all likelyhood, not get a settlement if you have an accident. Trust me on this one; when I had the original title fixed and sent a notice to the insurance company they wanted to write me a 2nd policy on a new bike instead of correcting the VIN on the existing policy. Took me about 2 months with letters and phone calls before they grudgingly issued me a policy with the corrected VIN on it. This they did only because I supplied copies of all paperwork including the Maine correction request from the previous owner.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yes I agree, To re-register in your name the state vehicle department may want to spot check to see if VIN matches the paperwork.If they do you will have some worthless paperwork from me. For insurance the vin should match the registration. If you have the bare frame you can take it in to the department of licensing and get a proper title in your name. Gives you a chance to put the bike back together and make it a nice clean one. To cold to ride now anyway. I can lower the price of the frame to $50.00 if that helps.

Comment

Stop, damn it... stop!

You guys are killin' me! You know of my addiction, yet you keep on talking in front of me.
                      5 bikes, 6 engines, but only two titles.
                      Ummm, Andreas... does the $50 frame and title deal go for fellow Washingtonians, too? (Washington title?)

Comment

That would be too easy if it had washington title. Yes same price for you. Fire me a zip code will get a UPS quote. Registered owner is me. Registered in British Columbia comes with a signed transfer paper from me,you fill in your name as new owner and register in washington. 1981 h full dressor model rectangle sidecover mount right, round sidecover mount left.

Comment

"Your papers, please... and travel documents."

Zipper: 98516
                          I had initially thought of driving out there to pick it up. Two probs with that. UPS would probably ship cheaper that it would cost me in fuel, and I would end up just handing you my wallet in exchange for more parts that I don't need, but would like to have some day!
                          UPS drop means pick it up from their local warehouse? (can you tell I've never shipped anything?)
                          I'll talk to the UPS guy that delivers to work, as I'd have it shipped there.
                          Payment: check by mail or paypal or whatever? UPS COD for the whole thing? Check, but cod for delivery charge? What's the appropriate proceedure?

Comment

Cheque or MO is fine. I will pm you tomorrow after I get a UPS shipping quote to your zip code. UPS drop means to their main delivery warehouse nearest to you.Much cheaper than delivery to a residential address. Just send me the shipping cost plus my asking price. I will then send off the frame with papers attached. My address is andreas weiss p.o box 1218 oroville,wa 98844 The frame weighes approx 50lbs and goes oversize rate.Weight is not really an issue for UPS on oversize(its way under) I could stuff a few extra things in the frame cavity for you.Lighten your wallet a bit. Cylinder jugs??? Complete top end parts like cams,valves.,or pistons with rings,how about a crank with connecting rods,starter,clutch,middle gear,rear gear.... alright I will stop now.

Comment

Jeez. You sound like a drug dealer. "Come on just a little hit it won't hurt. Sucker!!"

79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                              07 V-star 1100
                              Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X