No announcement yet.

Riding the roads of Austria - KTM 790

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful scenery-just curious what are fuel prices like? Sure much higher than here in U.S.-paying $4.62 for regular unleaded gas here in N.J.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
      Beautiful scenery-just curious what are fuel prices like? Sure much higher than here in U.S.-paying $4.62 for regular unleaded gas here in N.J.
      oldyam80sg,

Fuel price in Austria is ~ 2.109 (EURO) for a LITER. That equates to basically $8.00 per gallon. The fuel in Austria is only 5% ethanol content referred to in Austria as "Super 95" vs. U.S. where the ethanol content is typically 10%. There are no Cheap, Midrange, or Super as we would be familiar with in the USA.

Coincidentally, I asked one of the lab people in Austria (a PHD of Chemisty) about the ethanol content difference vs USA. According to the PHD, Europe found that the addition of 5% ethanol reduced tailpipe emissions nicely. However, the addition of 10% ethanol greatly reduced fuel mileage at little/no additional gain in emissions. So, the EU has limited the addition of ethanol to 5%.

Just an FYI, we're paying right about $4.15/gallon here in GA. Our governor has suspended all state fuel taxes on gas. Otherwise. it would be .30 higher per gallon.

Kurt

Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
      1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
      1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
      1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
      1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
      1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
      1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
      1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
      2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Interesting -when I was stationed in Germany in 2005 fuel prices were high in U.S and prices were per liter in Germany. Being on an Army base (Bamberg) fuel was in gallons. Many German citizens tried to fill up their vehicles on post but were not allowed to due to custom laws.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
          You sir have landed an awesome job. I am assuming the job is new as in previous posts you stated you had been laid off.
          Sorry for the delayed response. YES, Thank You.

The job is "Service Manager" and similar and different to my previous experience. For the last 25+ years I've held the position of Maintenance Manager at several different Industrial Manufacturing Facilities. As Maintenance Manager, I've been responsible for the repair and maintenance of both plantwide assets, all production equipment, and manage the Maintenance team and contractors.

As Service Manager for NGR, the role is quite similar yet different. I'm still Manager of our traveling technicians and have responsibility our production machines(3). But the primary focus is assisting the customers with their machines, providing quotes for service, scheduling technicians, and invoicing for the services. There is a SLIGHT sales aspect as I've a few relatively minor sales goals to attempt to attain. The President would like me to sell PM Care Packages to customers not capable of (or interested in) performing their own maintenance. I'm not particularly comfortable or capable as a salesman so this will be a bit of a challenge. Traditionally, I've eliminated contractors and put the responsibility for machine maintenance on my staff members. So, flipping the coin and recommending "factory service" is a bit opposite of my personal preferences... I should be able to meet the goals as there are others in Industry that feel the opposite.

Overall, our machines are extremely well made with an attention to detail that is very uncommon. Breakdowns, when they occur, are always related to misuse, abuse, or lack of proper maintenance.

KURT

https://www.ngr-world.com/
          Kurt Boehringer
          Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
          1978 - SR500 - Thumper
          1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
          1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
          1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
          1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
          1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
          1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
          1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
          1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
          1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
          1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
          2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
            Overall, our machines are extremely well made with an attention to detail that is very uncommon. Breakdowns, when they occur, are always related to misuse, abuse, or lack of proper maintenance.
            Sounds like XS11's
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
            X