Noob XS11 Special owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob XS11 Special owner

Hi folks! I've been ghosting for a little bit and already found some useful stuff. Nice place ya got here! I just picked up a 79 last week n got it home today. It runs and rides and only cost me $400 (so far). Definitely going to be looking around for info n parts/sources. The bike needs some love and I only know the barest basics. Need to start with 2 new tires, change the fluids, speedo cable and getting all the lights functional. Not even sure where to look for the fuse block yet.... but that should be half the fun, learning as we go!
    79 SF

Originally posted by bajagill View Post
    Hi folks! I've been ghosting for a little bit and already found some useful stuff. Nice place ya got here! I just picked up a 79 last week n got it home today. It runs and rides and only cost me $400 (so far). Definitely going to be looking around for info n parts/sources. The bike needs some love and I only know the barest basics. Need to start with 2 new tires, change the fluids, speedo cable and getting all the lights functional. Not even sure where to look for the fuse block yet.... but that should be half the fun, learning as we go!
    Glad to have you aboard. Look under the right side cover for the fuses. Unless someone has changed things they may still be the old glass fuses. If they are read the tech tip on moving over to blade style fuses. There is also a 30 amp main fuse under the left cover, again only if the bike has not already been upgraded to blades. Many move that main fuse over to the upgraded fuse block.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Hi! Heck of a start finding a runner for that price. Enjoy making it road worthy.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Only a few days into ownership and figuring out more stuff that needs attention...and all I have accomplished so far is some tire shopping and maybe 20 minutes of seat time around the neighborhood. Clutch needs adjustment (drags with lever pulled...to the grip), carbs need synced/tuned (doesn't run bad but could be better) it likes to die at idle after full warm up (clutch pulled and in gear), small oil leak on far left (clutch side) cylinder at or near exhaust port. Haven't even poked around the intake side of things yet. I'm sure there will be SOMETHING that will need attention there as well... and probably need to look at getting some lube in the throttle cable. It snaps back to idle when I let go but feels just a touch rough on roll-on and roll-off. Good thing though is as I have been getting the dust knocked and rubbed off it doesn't look so much like the sad, dusty old bike I bought last week. The paint actually has a little shine left to it, the chrome bits aren't beat to crap and rusty and the mufflers don't leak. So, overall, not bad at all for a 40 plus year old bike that has just been sitting.
        79 SF

Comment

Good find! The '79S is a "one year" for some parts, but still a nice ride. I'm located about 30 minutes East of Ontario, OR in Idaho if you need some help with things. I am using Michelin tires on my '79 as they make a bias ply that fits our bikes.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

PM'd you DiverRay...
            79 SF

Comment

Working...
            X