xs11 Dowel pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs11 Dowel pins

I have had xs11's since the 80's. they are the greatest garage find value bikes.
    I have learned much from these forums.
    I have been rebuilding a 78 xs11 standard with Wiseco 1172cc piston kit. I realized after having the whole top end together and torqued that I did not put the lower jug locating pins in. I read on forum that this may not be a big deal. So figured to ask if I should unbolt and lift jugs enough to slide pins in ? I do have the top pins in between head and jugs. Have not put carb boots or exhaust on yet so just top end to valve cover done. Valves adjustment done.
    Thanks
    wwwolf

I currently have 4 xs11s.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Special
    2 1978 XS1100 Standard 1 stock and 1 with 1172 Wisco piston kit and XS850 rear pumpkin drive mod

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I left out the dowels, but that is just me.

-Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Well, you have to ask yourself, is it possible for the jugs to shift, even a little? If the answer is yes, then you better go back and put them in. ​​​​
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
        I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I left out the dowels, but that is just me.
        No, Mike. It isn't just you. That is exactly the way I'd feel about it, unless I was just going to park it in the living room for display and never ride it. I have a favorite saying. "There's never time to do the job right. There's always time to do it over."
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

No, Mike. It isn't just you. That is exactly the way I'd feel about it, unless I was just going to park it in the living room for display and never ride it. I have a favorite saying. "There's never time to do the job right. There's always time to do it over."
          My feelings on the subject are that if the Yamaha engineers put those dowel pins there for a reason.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

there's no way I wouldn't go back and put them in. myself, as much as a PITA as that is... but we get into this for the journey, right? So welcome to your disassembly/reassembly journey! Somebody else please add the new age language here, I don't have it.
            Cheers
            Mike
            1979 XS1100F
            1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Working...
            X