No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!
    Below is my recently purchased 79 Special. I call it the Mystery Machine because it has been refurbished several times and when working on it I find that certain things have been done to it. Why is a mystery to me.
    Picture on the right is my late father. He owned several 1100s over the years putting over 100,000 miles on each before it was retired to the farm. You might say he liked to modify his bikes too……
    I bought mine because of him. I owned many Yamahas over the years but never an XS 1100 as I tended to favor the triple and twins.

Welcome! A lot of good info on here and plenty of experienced members who can offer advice when needed. Really cool pic of your dad, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Awesome pic. Loaded for bear...
      1979 XS1100F
      1978 Suzuki GS750E

Comment

Interesting mods done on that red bike.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Greetings! We are acquainted on another forum. That appears to be a well executed mash-up.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

It looks to me that your bike is a 1979 XS1100SF (Special).

The seat crowding the side covers tells me the seat is likely from a 1980 Special. The front brake rotors are also from the later model. Headlight, taillight and clocks are from a standard.

If you're interested, an aftermarket seat that fits your bike is available here: https://texavina.com/xs1100-special-79/ 1981 Special is pictured.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I think the bike is a 78-79 Standard with an 80-81 Special front end and tank. I would bet the VIN prefix is 2H7. A picture of the right side of the bike would tell us some more.
              It has a Standard rear fender.

This piece right here says it's a Standard frame... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220425_223414.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	868527
              Last edited by bikerphil; 04-25-2022, 08:36 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Phil, you nailed it! Looks like front end was changed, but the rest is '79 Standard. Side covers say it, look at Marty's pic.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I like the look of the stepped seat with the cowl, cool mod. I would have used the sportier Special rear fender with the Standard tail light. I did that with my 79F.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Working...
                  X