I got a new bike too! :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new bike too! :D

Just bought it on Ebay. What a great deal!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4585293452

He says it's a 79, since that's what's on the tag, but it's 3J6, just like mine. I'm thinking that makes it an 80' SG, too, right?

Can't wait to pick it up!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

.. 7\79 means it's an 80 just by the skin of it's teeth
    good get!

Comment

Nice Bike...

So, you going to part it out or try to get a title on it??? Doesn't look to be too bad shape for $230.

Congrats on the buy...
      ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
      '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

For now, the exhaust (if it's in as good of shape as it looks) is going to go on my bike, as well as possibly the bottom case of the engine. Would be nice if the whole engine is in good shape, I may just trade out the whole thing. It's only got a couple of thousand miles more than mine.

The broken bolt holes on the block for my timing cover drive me crazy to look at.... like a scar or something. Would be really nice to have it fixed right,

I imagine I'll look into to getting a title, but I have a feeling this will leave me in a cash crunch, so I may sell a few peices off of it fairly quickly.
        80 XS1100SG
        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Hey... good job! Looks great.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Great deal on the bike JW.
            Don
            99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

great deal good luck

Comment

Did it come with the kick start lever?
                If you have an extra we might be able to deal
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100
                Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Good deal! Definitely an '80 model year, '79s don't have the flying brick tailight in the back of the seat.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Just went and picked it up today. It's in even better shape than I had hoped. WAY better than my first one was when I first got it, that I paid nearly twice as much for. The engine is very clean compared to mine---way less oxidation. If I can get it to start easily, then I'll definately be swapping out the engine. If I do that, then I'll most likely part out the rest of the peices I don't need.

VERY pleased with it overall though. Will finally have my exhaust woes fixed permanently!

Now all I have to do is come up with the time for all this.
                    80 XS1100SG
                    81 XS400SH

Comment

Just looked at the pics again, looks like a California plate on that thing.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Yeah, looks like it was last registered in Cali in 99. Is that an issue?
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Comment

Best thing to do is take your receipt to the BMV and ask what you need to do to get a title.
                          79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                          07 V-star 1100
                          Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by JWSanders
                            Yeah, looks like it was last registered in Cali in 99. Is that an issue?
                            Don't believe so. Just a remark. Actually car people consider it a plus since roads don't get salted in winter in California so there's less rust and corrosion. Caltrans uses volcanic ash on icy roads and requires chains in snowy conditions. My bike never heard about the less corrosion thing, its all rusty but it used to live near the ocean.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

things to do and check

Pull the ignition switch and re-key it using the key from your other bike. Drain the fuel tank, pull the carbs and clean them. Run a compression check. Put the carbs back on, fire it up and listen for noise. You've gotten a sweet deal for that price.
                              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                              X