Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum nick name derivative.

What’s in a name?

Some have wondered and asked me if I was an Army Ranger? No nothing that special, I was just an Army infantryman. Well then are you a Park Ranger? No nothing that fascinating, but I always thought that would be a cool job.

My forum nickname simply came from the vehicles I owned when I signed on. A ford Ranger Pickup truck and an XS1100. The Ranger is long gone, but the XS1100 lives, though it is not the same one.

Since I have ordered a new Ford Maverick pickup truck to replace the Ranger, I may have to change my name to Maverick_xs1100!

Anyhow, I’ve always been curious about whatever it’s called… nickname, username, handle.

What does yours mean?

Bob

Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

I have been asked if I was a ham radio operator. I did have a novice license when I was in the 8th grade, but my handle had other origins.

A long time ago, at the infancy of the interweb......I needed to buy something on eBay, so I had to create an account. All the names I tried were already taken. My life was my profession at the time. I was helping develop and sell car radios to Chysler. So I tried Radios, and it was taken. I tried Radioguy, and it was taken. I was adding numbers without luck. So it occurred to me that I was cutting huge trees for the construction of our new home. I justs added "logs" to the "Radioguy"; and voila! Not taken.

So I use that same name for most of my accounts now. I think it sounds stupid, but at least it's colorful and unique.

Good idea for a thread Ranger, err Maverick!
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Soccer4m was for having coached soccer for quite awhile and had 4 in my family,,,,so it was better than other nicknames,,,,and added the m because the soccer4 was taken in the old days of gmail,,,so here it still is 20 plus years later on xs11.club after all the xs11 web changes............Happy New Year to all the xs sives,,,,,Mike in San Diego

Comment

DiverRay is for my Divemaster cert., and living on the Monterey Bay, but I was Airborne Infantry in the Army many years ago. I still plan on doing a few more dives before I turn in the regulator, but now living in Idaho, and this covid thing has gotten in the way.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Fun stuff here, leaves me feeling like the boring dude.... David Baxter been truncated to just Bax for as long as I can remember. I will elaborate on the Bax_Cave reference I use all the time to keep the interested reader on edge. I work in an unusual area of the semiconductor industry that when we started this fabrication line there was no standard process equipment set so I was tasked with modifying or making some really cool manufacturing equipment. One of my colleagues started calling my cube the Bax Cave as a spoof from the original Bat-Man series with Adam West because "everything we need is coming out of the Bax_Cave". She even got me a sign made up that has followed me around various office locations over the years, I'll add a pic tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

---Bax
          80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Bax, that's cool! I was at Xilinx for about 5 years, reliability engineer. My main job was Los Alamos once a quarter, putting FPGAs in a Neutron beam. I had the nickname "Cosmic Ray" for the work I was doing with atmospheric neutrons and the effects on the FPGA.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I wish I had an exciting story about my handle but unfortunately I don't. I am originally from central Louisiana and my dad was 100% cajun french. The 31 I added much like Mike. Amazing how many people use cajun on Ebay or email etc. I just kept adding numbers until I found one that wasn't taken and it has been cajun31 since. I used different forms of this handle for many of my login accounts.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

DiverRay Cosmic Ray is fitting for that work. Rad testing the adaptive logic processors....... Get a glowing review from me. I spent a few years out of high school in the NAVY pushing submarines around the ocean depths..... I have had a few extra sources of zoomies adding up on the TLD.

---Bax

Comment

Back in 1982 when i bought my XJ1100 Maxim brand new...I was calling it Max..Then some time in the mid '80s after the Mad Max movies with Mel Gibson...I started calling the bike MadMax..Hence madmax-im a play on words...when i joined here in 2007...
                  Last edited by madmax-im; 12-29-2021, 06:50 PM.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Forum nickname came from a couple decades of moto-cross racing starting back in early seventies with all the races being AMA sanctioned, and ALL of them got me first place finishes with trophies. Got married in 1976, raised a family and decided to see if I still had it so to speak. At age 52, give it a go, and in 2004 won a first place in the senior class(50+class) in all of Colo.(RMXA)Rocky MountainMotoXAssociation. During all that time period, bought the new 1981Venturer 1100, which I still have, which is still in like new cond. and all original cept for seat change(Corbin) and fully adjustable Heli-Bars along with fuse panel upgrade. It sits in garage,, covered and has 82,000 original miles on odometer. The original seat, I removed approx. 2weeks after purchasing bike new May of 1981, and it is still stored inside home.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

It's my full name, lol
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Day late but here is the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
                          Day late but here is the pic.

A lot of interesting guys here!

Hey Bax, You may want to try again... the link or upload didn't work.

Bob's Bikes:
                          79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                          "
                          Project XS11"
                          "Rucksack Grunt"
                          "Small Unit Leadership"
                          "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                          For Sale Here.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4231.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	551.1 KB
ID:	867404

Comment

ahhhh, there it is Bax! Nice!
                              Bob's Bikes:
                              79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:

Bob's Books:
                              "
                              Project XS11"
                              "Rucksack Grunt"
                              "Small Unit Leadership"