Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new bike, (again!)

Oh, someone please stop me!
    For all you Psych. majors out there... yes, this is a classic example of the "mania" phase of a manic/depressive.(Politely called Bi-Polar today) Can't wait till my mood drops, all projects get shelved and I curl up and sleep all winter.
    But I couldn't pass up this deal. '78 XS1100E(with title), hardbags and trunk, new tires and exhaust, Lockhart oil cooler, etc.
    In addition... thrown into the deal was another "E" engine, wheels, carbs, parts... everything 'cept the frame.
    $700. I could have haggled with him over the price, but I thought this was a fair deal.
    Clean the tank and the carbs and she'll roar.
    Spare engine... I'm settin' aside for "Claire"
    Two questions: Is this stock luggage? (says Yamaha on it and it's the same color as the bike)
    Came with a spare seat. Has Yamaha(with a logo) embroidered on the front seat, and on the passenger part is embroidered XS1100.
    Shame that it's too torn to be repaired, but was this a Yamaha custom option or somethin'?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    (My sons have locked me in my room and are taking me to Mental Hygiene on Monday)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Prometheus,
    Don't fight it, used Elevens are still cheaper than couch time at some shrink's office. Looks like your latest acquisition may solve two problems, a new heart for "Claire", and a way to extend your riding season behind that big fairing. Sometimes you see something for sale that you don't really "need", but which is such a good deal you just can't pass it up. When you reach a certain momentum, this process can take on a life of its own.
    I like GNEPIG's idea of the engine swap on "Claire" which will allow a leisurely rebuild of her original powerplant.
    Will having a title for the new bike shuffle your priorities? Looks like you could have the new ride on the road in a week tops, and the weather is getting a bit chilly up in the Pacific nortwest (I've got a friend living on a houseboat in a marina in Olympia, so I get the weather reports).
    Patiently waiting for the next progress report here in Richmond.
    80 G "The Beast"
    81 H "The Dresser"
    79 XS650 II
    82 650 Maxim
    70 DT-1 Enduro
    66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
    96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Sweet!

That luggage alone is worth a good portion of that.
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

From the pic, the luggage is the stock 1979 Yamaha. The seat was an after market, and I don't remember if it was sold in '79 as a "Yamaha factory part".
        Don't fight the xs11 feelings, as it only makes things worse. I started with one, because I remembered my first on in 1978, and I now have two with a spare engine. My son now wants to help with #2, so he can ride one of them.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Congrats...

Congrats on the great purchase. SWMBO kinda furrowed her brow when I bought my mistress, but she soon realized that I wouldn't be talked out of it. Since then, she's come to want her own almost as badly as I wanted my first.

I agree with JW, the baggage and fairing basically gives you your moneys worth. Again, congrats on a great deal.
          ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
          '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Working...
          X