• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Light blows Fuse

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	867209 Original owner of a 79 XS1100 F. Bike runs great but the Headlight is not working. Blown Fuse. With the bike off the lead to the headlight is open. Once you turn over the motor there is more or less a dead short on the lead to the headlight which blows the fuse. There are several modules between the fuse and the headlamp. I believe one is to turn off the headlamp until the motor starts, the other some kind of safety device for low and high beam.

I'm pretty good at wiring diagrams but this one gets a little complex on the headlamp wiring. So wondering if someone else has seen this issue and have been able to resolve it. I'm wondering if one of those modules has gone south. I really need the head light. Jeff
    Jeff Korn
    Original Owner 79XS1100 E
    Yamaha Warrior has come and gone

Jeff, try Pulling the plug off the headlamp first. Start and see what happens. If it still shorts, connect headlamp and disconnect the left control. try again, and if it still blows it's probably in the harness or the reserve lighting unit. My guess is the left control has a wire that is separated at the solder joint and shorting.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey thanks. First thing I did was disconnect the harness going to my fairing.

Not sure what you mean by LEFT control?? Jeff
      Jeff Korn

Comment

The headlight switch is what Ray was referring to.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Left high low switch! Thanks. I’lol disconnect it and se what happens. Jeff
          Jeff Korn

Comment

When fuses immediately blow it points to a direct short some where. Just trace the wires. If you have a multimeter with a tone on it would make it easier to trace.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X