Rim marring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    What I do is: 1. put on one side of the tire bead. 2. Insert tube by putting the valve in and then work the tube into the tire. 3. start the second beat at the valve stem, going both directions by hand as best you can and then using tire irons. Keep PLENTY of soapy water on the tire beads. This works with NEW tires. If the tire you have IS the old one in the picture, and is over six years old, DO NOT TRY TO MOUNT IT!!
    Is there a reason I shouldn't mount it other than a six year old tire is expired? Any harm practicing with the junk tire?
    78 E

Comment

You can look for the tubeless '79 and later rims! They should be available, but not sure how much with shipping. Front rims are the same for most of the late '70's, early 80's bigger Yamahas. The rear should be a later '79 through 82 XS or XJ 1100.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The old tire will be MUCH harder than a new tire. What will take 20lbs on a new tire may take 80lbs on the old tire, so yes, there IS harm in trying to put the old tire back on.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG

Comment

You can look for the tubeless '79 and later rims! They should be available, but not sure how much with shipping. Front rims are the same for most of the late '70's, early 80's bigger Yamahas. The rear should be a later '79 through 82 XS or XJ 1100.
          Seems like a big investment at this time. I'm probably only going to go around the block 3 times a year.
          78 E

Comment

The old tire will be MUCH harder than a new tire. What will take 20lbs on a new tire may take 80lbs on the old tire, so yes, there IS harm in trying to put the old tire back on.

So aside from risk of catastrophic failure it's also harder to do. I'll get new tires.
            78 E

Comment

I've ruined enough tubes I could have just bought the later wheel. I didn't think it would go this poorly.

Why don't I ever listen to everyone's advice
              78 E

Comment

Hey DiverRay

Are the rear wheels from 79 on the same for xs and xj? I thought there were different sizes?
                ​​​
                78 E

Comment

Sorry, the XJ is a 16", I think, and the XS Standard is 17". Forgot about that as I've not owned an XJ. You can put the 16" rim on, but you need all the parts/spacers from the rear axle of the bike the rim is from. The brake disk will not line up correctly unless spaced out a few mm if you do not have the parts.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Thank you Ray!
                    78 E

Comment

Working...
                    X