widest tire you can fit on a xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• widest tire you can fit on a xs

i am in need of a new tire and i was woundering what the widest tire i can fit on the back of the xs is i do alot of drag racing so a wider tire would make it hook up better and make it a smoother ride on the road so does anybody know what stock is and what the widest i can put on there is thank you
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Hey Bandet01,

The stock rim is only 3.5" wide, which also limits what sizes you can get. The swingarm is more restrictive on the left side, and so the recommended stock size is 130/90/16 for the Special, however, I have Dunlop EliteII 140/90/16 on mine. The raised white wall letters have rubbed a bit, but the main side walls don't normally rub. I have experienced a bit of rub when I was riding 2 up and going thru some fun twisties....due to flex of the side wall!

It has been suggested to put a shim between the wheel and final drive to space the wheel & tire a bit further to the right to allow more room for a wider tire!? YMMV
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

is the standard and the special use the same rim since mine is a 79 standard and is the a company that makes a wider rim for the xs or is a 130 as wide as i can go

Comment

Sorry, Standard 17 inch rim, but same width. Nobody makes any rims for the XS11, so without lots of $$ getting some specially made, what you got is what you get!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well i guess i will be looking for a drag tire in a 130 size then

Comment

bandit

plz don't take this the wrong way,i'm a lot like you in as i want to run 10's with my 24 yr old bike. But have come to reality that very high 12's are bout it. without spending huge somes of money to go faster. after market no help either. if you want to go zoom buy a crotch rocket. sorry it's just the nature of the beast. i get smoked by any 600cc sport bike at the track and ya its emmbarising but dang the bike is over 20 yrs old with more miles then any of the crotch rock will even do in there life,so put on your biggest smile and ride it like ya stole it.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

thats cool man i dont want it to run 10s but i mean it should go mid 12s with no problem and i like my 25 year old bike better then any of the new rides out there i am a old school stander looking motorcycle guy but i am just trying to get it to atleast in to the high 11s to mid 11s and i will be happy

Comment

hers a suggestion

have the crank shaft lightened. will rev quicker and get into the power band faster. they do it a lot on those little sprint cars that use the xs-xj motors. 7pounds will change the whole out put of the bike.i think i'm going to follow suit with ppggg. less weight faster fatter tire,just take off 7-10 # from the crank hit the nitrus at half track...man i can feel it already 10.50 at like 130mph ooohhhh yyyaaa!!!!
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

.. hey bandit, i used to race with this guy once in awhile who had a xs11 standard that he would get 11.89 with.. he was a young guy who might have weighed 140 lbs.. and on every pass he had to short shift 2nd gear [because it was blown], the bike was an ugly nasty mess but it ran like stink!..
                  .. besides the fact that he was so light and that he was a real good rider i think it ran such good numbers because he had a vance & hines side winder 4 into 1 exhaust and a set of 36mm mikuni flat slide carbs .. it must of been jetted kind of rich because even with the baffle removed it would puff out a cloud of black smoke when he wacked the throttle open fast
                  .. i rode with this guy on the street once, when we desided to make a go of it he left me and my 99 buell doing a wheel stand in the dust

Comment

well i weight 255 and i can run my gears all the way out and you said all he had done was exhaust and flat side carbs and running it alittle rich i just need bolt on ideas and tips on making this thing fast

Comment

If you have the stock exhaust, try drilling 4 1/4" holes in the back of each muffler. I did mine, and it does not make any difference on noise, but helps the engine breath just a little better. The other things I've done is a K&N air filter, and driller holes in the bottom of the stock air box.
                      Just remember, the dirty air is on the INSIDE of the filter, so drill the holes accordingly. This should help your time a little, and I know you will be able to feel the difference.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i have got indy style filters on the bike and the baffles are removed and i am getting new mac 4 into 2 exhaust

Comment

Working...
                        X