Greetings, I just bought this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings, I just bought this!

Thank you for accepting me. I'm extremely excited to have just bought a '79 SF. This has been one of my bucket list bikes for a long time (since I was a teenager in South Africa in the 80s) but I have absolutely zero knowledge of owning or maintaining one, so I'm going to be a complete pain in the neck in the months ahead, asking lots of silly questions. Apologies in advance!

Your one step ahead of the game by buying one that looks to be in great shape!
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
      Your one step ahead of the game by buying one that looks to be in great shape!
      Basically solid but there are a fair few things that need attention, some more urgent than others. The carbs are seized solid, so will need to be stripped and probably completely rebuilt. The master cylinders also.
      There is no key for the fuel tank. Is it normal to have a separate ignition key and fuel tank key on these? Or does it indicate that the tank has been changed? I won't know what the fuel tank looks like inside until I get a key and manage to open it!

There is a little oil leak from behind the headers, so I'm guessing this will be a weeping head gasket. If I have to take the head off I'll probably replace rings, cam chain and tensioners and valve stem seals, just as a matter of course.

The brake calipers will all need rebuilding too. The forks need rechroming so I'll get new seals and possibly replace the springs while the work is being done.

Obviously the seat cover needs replacing and the paint on the tank has a few scratches so I may well get it resprayed. Tyres will need replacing too. What tyres do people recommend?

Comment

Very nice-looking XS! I do think you have a later seat there, judging by the cutout for the later nested taillight. Also the vinyl pattern matches a US 1980 midnight special (not sure what it matches in the UK models).

The single key fits the ignition, tank, helmet lock, and left side cover lock (again, over here anyway). SO maybe a tank and seat replaced on that one?

Also it's possible you've got oil weeping from the cam chain tensioner which is in that area and very prone to leaks.
        Steve R

'80 SG
        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
        1978 XS400E Red
        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Your bike is in really nice cosmetic shape. The mechanical stuff can be fixed, but rusted chrome is hard to overcome.

I was thinking that seat was from a 1981 Special.

Like Bergman said, it's quite likely your oil leak is just the plug in the end of the cam chain tensioner. It's a comon problem. The OE pug is still availalable, and it's a really easy fix.

-Mike
          _________
          '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
          '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
          '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
          '79 XS750SF 17k miles
          '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
          '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
          '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Great stuff, thank you. A couple of admissions to make. I have bought this bike without even seeing it. It's been sold by someone I have bought bikes from before who I trust. I run a business and couldn't get up there to see the bike, so I have bought it based on the pictures and discussions we have had. He knows me well enough to know that I'm not an easy customer though. It sounds very likely that the leak is the tensioner and that is kind of a relief. The question over the locks and the seat makes perfect sense. The bike has been imported to the UK from Nebraska.

Comment

Comment

Try to find a 1979 seat pan to replace the seat that you have! I had the same thing with my '79 Special, and ended up cutting and welding the pan so it would fit and look OK. The sides, from the front to the rear shocks, come down about 2cm farther than the '79. This will cause the seat to rest on the side covers, and break them. For tires, I run Michelin bias ply on my '79. So far they handle great, no sign of wear after about 2K miles.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I guess having the wrong seat is probably why the grabrail has been removed. So add that to the shopping list!

Comment

The '80 grabrail mounts to the frame. The '79 does not have the mount points. The '79 Special seat is a one year only seat! That is the reason I modified what I had. You may be able to find a seat at a breaker in the US, but other than that they do cost.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have found a '79 seat base. Anybody know where I can get a cover and the foam?!!

Comment

Working...
                      X