Helmet Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Opportunity

Ok, A fellow in the local FB here is selling a Shoei RF 1400 with extra smoke visor he said cost $70 extra. He is selling these two for $400. It is brand new, but it does not fit him. It might fit me, it is XL. He said it is for a 61-62 cm head. I looked on line and these helmets cost over $500. He has $600 in it. He is selling for $400. He also has a Cardo Packtalk slim. He wants $125 for that. Are these good products? I do not have a helmet.

There is also another fellow with a Bell Arrow XXL that has never been worn. He wants $60 for that one.

I do not have a helmet. What do you think of either of these? I am leaning to the Shoei and the Slimtalk. Although that sure is expensive.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    79 F

Any helmet is better than just your head when you go down! I would go to a local shop and try both on, as they are all different oval shapes. Buy the one that fits best, and is comfortable so you will wear it.
    My personal preference is the modular helmet, as I can open the chin bar to talk or cool down at a light. The Cardio is a good price, so see if he has it once you decide on a helmet. You can bluetooth music, or directions into it on longer rides.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

A helmet that FITS is what is important. That's the critical part. Brand isn't that important.

I buy the Shoei because it fits. Expensive, but it fits. Like jetmech marty, the only full face helmet that fits him is very expensive Arai. With Shoei his nose is smahed up against the visor.

I have never found another brand helmet that fits me properly. So if it fits, wear it. Of course there are other helmet styles so before you try & buy make sure the helmet provides the safety and head coverage you are wanting when you ride.

Packtalk is excellent. That DCM is great when riding in a group. The Packtalk Bold is the most current addition but the Slim has the same DCM features and may have the JBL speakers (which would need to fit I to the helmet speaker slots.

So 2 yes's. Shoei is very good and so is that Packtalk with DCM.

See ya at the Rally. Only 58 days to go till Iron Horse.

Good luck,
      Jeff
      Last edited by JeffH; 07-29-2021, 10:24 AM.
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E
      78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
      '99 Triumph Sprint ST
      '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

I went and looked at it. Turns out I knew the fellow. Anyway I tried it on and it fit perfect. It was a little tight on the cheeks, but just a touch. It fit nice and snug. It was obviously brand new. He said he bought it in a shop in Asheville, and it fit good on him in the store. He left and rode and it was too tight on him. So he went back and they would not take it back. So now he is selling it. For this kind of money I want it to be perfect. He is also waiting for a replacement Cardo Slim to come in the mail. The battery will not charge, so they are sending a new one. I did like how it mounted on the helmet. I am leaning towards it.
        79 F

Comment

Some helmets have replaceable cheek pads in narrower sizes. Mine did but not nearly as nice as that Shoei. It was fine on a first try, a little tight, but later I tried narrower cheek pads and was glad I did.
          Last edited by Bergman16; 07-29-2021, 05:39 PM.
          Steve R

'80 SG
          "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
          1978 XS400E Red
          1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

I've been using shoei for a long time. I use the RF1200 now and it made a world of difference having an areodynamic lid compared to the old style smooth helmet. Expensive but worth it IMHO.
            1979 XS1100 Special
            1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
            1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
            1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Working...
            X