Oil cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler?

Sorry but this is the only forum I could find that had a "new topic" button-couldn't find one on the maintenance ( oil ) page.
    I've now moved to Arizony and it's, uh...hot. Is an oil cooler a wise thing to do or even possible on my xs1100 Special?
    THanks for any help and opinions!

Jonny

Yes you can do it, you'll need the piece that goes between the oil filter housing and the crankcase which has the line fittings on it, and of course the lines and the cooler itself. Maybe someone here has one to sell or you can check Ebay. I live in a very hot climate too and I don't run any coolers on my bikes, haven't had any issues. Your temperatures are probably a bit higher than mine though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Yes you can do it, you'll need the piece that goes between the oil filter housing and the crankcase which has the line fittings on it, and of course the lines and the cooler itself. Maybe someone here has one to sell or you can check Ebay. I live in a very hot climate too and I don't run any coolers on my bikes, haven't had any issues. Your temperatures are probably a bit higher than mine though.
      THanks for the reply.
      I'd be looking for the/a complete setup -not a hadgepodge of pieces jumbled together. Sorry. That's just me. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined and have to read instructions. The guy I used to work for once took 3 boxes of parts and the disassembled cycle and put it all together-not a chance in hell I could do the same.
      Now of course I could do like guys who winterize their bikes and just park it for a few months. And I could still use it as a grocery scow 'cause the stores two miles away.
      Thanks Mr. Phil!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200118_105955.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	865266 It is an easy add on. There is an adapter for the oil filter that has in/out line fittings then use oil rated hose to plumb it. Neatly zip tie the hose and your done.
        1979 XS1100 Special
        1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
        1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I may know a fella that has one for sale, I could check with him. He's in Florida.

I might mention I have 2 engines with no oil coolers on them and over 100K on them, no related issues. YMMV
          Last edited by bikerphil; 06-06-2021, 09:01 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

I may know a fella that has one for sale, I could check with him. He's in Florida.

I might mention I have 2 engines with no oil coolers on them and over 100K on them, no related issues. YMMV
            That would be nice-to see if one for sale, that is.
            It may very well be unnecessary. 21,000 on mine. Being shipped to me soon..God willing.

Comment

He's checking to see if he has one and will get back to me.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

He's checking to see if he has one and will get back to me.
                Any word? Thank you!

Comment

Yeah, he says he has the radiators but not the important part, the plate that mounts to the engine. He sold it not too long ago.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Yeah, he says he has the radiators but not the important part, the plate that mounts to the engine. He sold it not too long ago.
                    Rats.
                    Thanks for checking!

Comment

Yep, I'll still keep my eyes open for one.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Yep, I'll still keep my eyes open for one.
                        Very kind of you. Thanks!

Comment

115°F in the afternoon there this week, run the best oil in your vehicle. I like semi syn golden spectro in my bikes. That's pretty damn hot, at least it's a dry heat...lol.

I was in AZ not long ago and we grilled out when it was 100, I don't know how ya do it.​​​​
                          1979 XS1100 Special
                          1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
                          1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
                          1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 2WheelFun View Post
                            115°F in the afternoon there this week, run the best oil in your vehicle. I like semi syn golden spectro in my bikes. That's pretty damn hot, at least it's a dry heat...lol.

I was in AZ not long ago and we grilled out when it was 100, I don't know how ya do it.​​​​
                            THanks, lol-it's a matter of necessity...since I just moved here...unless I drive my car or truck.
                            I tell you what, I was well aware of the thing that's called "wind chill factor". What I wasn't aware of is that there's a HOT AS HE** FACTOR...and the faster you go the hotter it feels.
                            lmao
                            holy cra* is THAT hot!
                            I'm looking into cooling vests... and bedouin attire.

Comment

Oil coolers are a recurring topic. There are two approaches, find an original Yamaha Venturer which came with an oil cooler and has the stock adapter. That bike also had a couple tabs welded to the down pipes to provide mounts for the cooler and tubing. Not many around any more. The second is to find one of member TC's adapters, made for a short time a few years back. He was selling them here in the forums (around $25 - $30) and maybe someone has one of these. If I recall they also used a spin-on filter. At least one member plumbed in a thermal bypass unit so the engine oil would warm up quicker in colder conditions before being sent to the cooler.

I would suggest that adding a cooler today will take some "cobbling together" as the original Yamaha lines are now over 40 years old and not reliable.

How effective are the coolers? While anecdotes are around, testing that I once saw indicated the coolers dropped the oil temps by about 15 degrees F when the ambient temps were around 80 degrees F. Oil has come a long way since the 80's and a cooler may not be needed any longer. I lived in Arizona for a few years (2001 - 2003) and ran the XJ, pulling my trailer in many instances, and had no problems. I ran Rotella 10W-40 and changed oil and filter about every 3,000 miles.

As many have stated, the XS11 engine will run for long periods of time if properly maintained. Adding an oil cooler sounds like a great idea but may have little practical value when using modern oils.

There is a joke about Arizona I heard when I was there. A priest was trying to set up a church, and after a few years had to head back east to update the church elders. He was having a hard time establishing a congregation and the elders wanted to know why. The priest replied that residents in winter had already seen heaven and residents in the summer had already seen hell. The church could not compete...
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                              X