New guy on the block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy on the block.

Just picked up an '80 SG last Sunday for $200. Poor thing sat for 3 years with little maintenance before that I think. It runs but #3 does not fire at low throttle. It appears to have spent some amount of time outside.

I've been reading this forum with great interest the past couple of days. This forum seems to have a really nice bunch of people here and I'm looking forward to some "talks" once I start working 'er over.

The fun begins.....

Eric
    Eric Roellig
    1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
    **Very first bike**
    Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Welcome to the group!

3 years isn't as bad as some, but you are taliking Illinois winters, which is one of the reasons I left the midwest.

Take a look at the Tech Tips section for advise on going though your new bike. Pay close attention to the electrical and brake articles, as these are common problem areas.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Welcome to the wacky world of XSivness.
      I had that same problem with my 78 E. In my case it was a defective pilot jet. I moved the jet to another carb and the symptoms followed.
      The plus side was it gave a rumbly growl when idling and kicked you in the pants when that 4th cyl kicked-in.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
        Welcome to the wacky world of XSivness.
        I had that same problem with my 78 E. In my case it was a defective pilot jet. I moved the jet to another carb and the symptoms followed.
        The plus side was it gave a rumbly growl when idling and kicked you in the pants when that 4th cyl kicked-in.
        Well, the PO told me that it ran OK when he pulled it out of storage, but then #3 didn't fire on the next start. I'm assuming that some junk got into the pilot jet. I'm going to srip the carbs down and clean. That should cure that.

BTW: Got 27,xxx on the clock.
        Eric Roellig
        **Very first bike**

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
          Welcome to the group!

3 years isn't as bad as some, but you are taliking Illinois winters, which is one of the reasons I left the midwest.

Take a look at the Tech Tips section for advise on going though your new bike. Pay close attention to the electrical and brake articles, as these are common problem areas.
          There doesn't seem to be any electrical problems. Everything works!

The rear brake caliper is sticking. I'm thinking about just doing a rebuild on the brakes & replacing the brake hoses just due to age if nothing else.

Gotta have new tires.

Will drain & refill all fluids. I can't see any rust in the gas tank.

I'll do an engine tuneup.

Needs a good cleaning.

I'm guessing that it is in pretty good shape for a neglected 25 year old bike.

Eric
          Eric Roellig
          **Very first bike**

Comment

Congrats. Good price too for a working bike. Your pretty close to me. If you ever decide to sell it drop me a line.

Also when you pull the carbs out look at your fuel mixture screw tips. I had one protruding into the air horn that I never knew was broken.
            79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
            07 V-star 1100
            Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Yah welcome! I am in Southern WI. Need any help just ask. Definately check out the search feature here. I couldn't have imagined the amount of info available here. I must thank all those here for helping me sound that much more informed when talking about these bikes.
              Carbs...yes. Cleanliness is... Check the spark wire ends too. If anything trim them back a bit and screw the caps back in to ensure a good contact.
              Most of all have fun.
              "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
              79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
              80 xs11sg
              81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Welcome!

That's sort of eerie. I just drove out to Dekalb, IL on Monday to pick up a $200 '80 SG for a buddy of mine. Must be the going price around here. Haven't had a chance to go through it yet but the condition looks pretty similar to what you've got.

Where in Northeast IL are you? We're starting to finally get some representation around these parts. Now there's no excuse not to get a ride organized for this summer.
                1980 XS 1100 Standard
                1980 XS 1100 Special
                1982 XJ 1100
                1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

ride

Already working on a ride for this summer D.P. Very early stages, so any input would be great. I am just reading how the other rides went. Used to organize smaller events for the Rambler club I was in, but a bike ride seems a tad more involved. Not looking for a rally, but we can call it that. Anyway not to stray here, but again welcome and get those bikes ready. Whether it be $200 or $2,000.
                  "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
                  79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                  80 xs11sg
                  81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Hey there Eric,

Welcome, and congrats on a fine machine(SPECIAL!!)

Aside from the carbs....go up the line, check out the Octopus... if it has one, and the petcocks, and the tank. When they sit for a long time, rust and crud can develop in the tank and make their way down. IF you just clean the carbs....and you don't put on inline filters, then you may get clogged lines again as the crud flows down from above!!??

IF that pipe warms up under open throttle, then it sure sounds like a clogged pilot circuit. Getting the varnish and gum out should clear it up, but like you said, a good going thru the carbs is in order.....however you may not need to tear the bank down into separating carbs, may just need a good squirting and running thru with thin wires and carb spray....along with removing the jets for throrough cleaning!!

BTW, whatcha gonna name it !?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

n e illinois

i live in zion, how much north east do you want? ever need help let me know.Oh ya welcome...this site rocks.. any and all info you would ever need right here.Hit me up DP too lets ride!!!!! 38 last night on the way home..talking 36 or so tonight,thank god for the leathers
                      1982 XJ 1100
                      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful hints, guys. I'm in Carpentersville just north of Elgin. Nice to know there are so many local people.

This is my first bike. Everyone says to go a little smaller, but it FITS me! (I'm 6'2") At least it isn't one of the 900lb monsters

Name? Well, my father had a big yellow tom cat that was named "cat". Can't break tradition can I?

Eric
                        Eric Roellig
                        **Very first bike**

Comment

Welcome Eric,

I'm in Rockford, Great site and great people. The knowledge base here is unbelievible, if these guys can't help nobody can.
                          It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
                          81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
                          82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
                          82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Congrats eroellig and welcome. I am a new XS owner too (had mine a month and a half now). $200 is a steal. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.
                            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

FNG

I guess this is the time of year for new guys. I just picked up an 81SH last week. I bought a brand new 1980 special back in the day and rode it until my kids were born then sold it to a really lucky guy. It never left my blood even after all these years. Had to have another. This one has also been sitting for about 3 years and the PO had taken the the carbs all the way down and gave them to me in (thank heven) 4 plastic bags. I ordered kits from Sirius which shold be here soon. Not my first resteration but first time with this machine. Let the fun begin. Lots of great info on this site, thanks for all the help in advance.

Wingnut325
                              Havelock NC
                              81 XS1100SH
                              wingnut
                              81 SH (Daily Ride)
                              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X