• Show
Clear All

• RIP Dale Walksler

Copied from a Kawasaki Versys forum....
    16 PM Thread Starter
    Mr_Ed
    High-G FJR Junkie!

RIP -- Dale Walksler
    It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history. At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson. His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.

As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.
    In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged. Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally.
    Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was not just something to be observed but rather experienced. Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious. It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history. His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.”

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum.
    Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.
    A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date. At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing.
    At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751.
    All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history. The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.Attached Thumbnails
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Anyone who has had the pleasure of touring Wheels Through Time will understand what this loss means to the motorcyle community...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That museum is on my list of must see places. May his family and friends find comfort in these trying times.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

I have seen some of what he did on TV. He was a great promoter of motorcycles of all types and styles. All who know of him will miss him! RIP, and no more pain from cancer. My thoughts to the family.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

RIP... I loved watching him on TV ..
          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

I’ve had the pleasure of touring Wheels Through Time twice and Dale was there both times. The first time was probably close to ten years ago and we were lucky enough to follow along as he did an impromptu tour of the museum. I have to admit I was a little star struck at first but he was so cool and down to earth and just loved talking motorcycles. Like we all do. It was an awesome experience. The second time we went was just a couple years ago. I saw him there and he was just going about regular business stuff behind the counter. I didn’t get the chance to talk to him but I told my wife later that he looked a little different. Now I know why. What an awesome guy and what an awesome legacy.
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1979 XS1100 F
            1982 XJ 650
            1983 XS 650

Comment

Feel real bad right now. I just read the post about Dale. Some years ago we spent the whole day touring the museum and workshop with Dale and a small group. . After the tour, Dale took my wife aside and gave her a special coffee cub with a greeting from him to my wife. He called the cup the all day award, as we had spent the opening hours to the closing hours at the museum. Dale told her that was the first time He had seen a wife go the distance and not object once. RIP Dale !
              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
              85 Honda v65 Magna
              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
              02 Road King (retirement gift)
              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Working...
              X