Safety Goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Goggles

Working on removing my petcocks from my gas tank today. Had to drill out a couple rusted bolts. I was taking the last bit of bolt head off with a hammer and chisel. The bolt head flew up and hit me in the eye. Missed my pupil, but got a nice bloody spot in the white part of my eye. Sad thing is my safety googles were propped up on my head. I just forgot to pull them down when transitioning between tools. Just wanted to pass on my stupid mistake, so no one "puts an eye out with that thing." Be safe wear goggles.
    Jason K.
    '80 XS1100G
    '80 XS850LG
    '96 FZR600

I got thinking too when I fitted what I thaught was a center stand spring... when I pushed the thing down, the spring broke and a part of it went an inch from my head and missed my GF for a few inches. Sounded like a bullet
    Since then my GF doesn't want to be around when I work on the bike...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

yup--always make sure anyone around ya is wearing them too. i was cleaning out a carb with some carb cleaner once when my budy was standing about five feet behind me and to my left. the carb cleaner went in hole, out another, and right into his eyes... apparently, it really burns a lot.

FYI-- if you ever get some of that crud in ur peepers, the emergency center says its best just to flush them with water. if vision remains cloudy, ur supposed to see an optomologist

BEN
      79ish suzuki rm250
      82 honda cb450sc
      78 honda cx500
      72 honda cb175
      78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

...and if u accidentally catch fire, please run to the nearest fire department, take a number and wait in line.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by procamper
          yup--always make sure anyone around ya is wearing them too. SNIPPED

FYI-- if you ever get some of that crud in ur peepers, the emergency center says its best just to flush them with water. if vision remains cloudy, ur supposed to see an optomologist
          BEN
          Now I would be neglegent if I didn't chime in here with some other words of wisdom, since I'm a Certified Ophthalmic Technician with a Subspecialty in Surgical Assisting !

Yes, running water is the easiest and best way to flush out irritants and chemicals in the eyes, just holding your head sideways under a tap and let it run across your eyes. If you get anything like soap, bleach, lye, hand cleaner, all of these are alkali and take lots of water to dilute/neutralize, so 15-20 minutes sounds like alot, but have you noticed how long it takes to rinse your hands to get soap off of them?!?! Believe it or not, Acid it fairly quickly neutralized with human proteins and don't burn as severely or as deeply, whereas alkali's keep on burning, especially if gotten into mucous membranes!!

If you wear regular plastic lens eyewear, they provide a decent level of impact resistance due to the safety standards they are made under. A pair of goggles can be had for ~$3.00 or so, much cheaper than a trip to the doctor or the operating room. Can you put a price on your eyesight?? Okay, I'll climb down from my lecturne now. Be safe out there, want you to be able to keep on seeing the world.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

some dumbass i know(me) was working with brake cleaner with out his glasses and it hit a screw hole and shot back into my eyes...YES IT HURTS LIKE HELL.... the fun part was climbing down 20 ft with no vision....
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Working...
            X