New Tech tip for pic posting/ data storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tech tip for pic posting/ data storage

The cable company I get my internet from offers web space with my internet connection. Many DSL and Cable companies offer hosting for a users home page. You can use this web space for storing photos etc..

I also found out you don't need an FTP program to connect and upload files to your web space. Internet Explorer does this for you automaticaly. Heres how!!!

First you need to contact your DSL/Cable provider and secure your webspace. I set mine up online using Road Runners website. Basically you need them to give you a directory on their server to store your stuff (Mine is budmanley). Since your already paying for it why not use it?

For my web space at Roadrunner I simply open Internet Explorer and using the website location http://home.woh.rr.com/budmanley/pics/

For mine I simply change the HTTP to FTP and rearange as below and add an @ symbol
    FTP://budmanley@woh.rr.com/budmanley

Internet explorer will popup asking for a password. Enter it and hit ok and you should have a windows explorer type window that you can copy and delete files from.

You can also setup a direct connection to your PC called a network drive. This will allow you to access your webspace as thought it were a hard drive on your computer.
    To do this:
    1. open WINDOWS explorer by clicking: Start/All Programs/accesoriies/windows explorer
    2. Click TOOLS at the top and Select MAP NETWORK DRIVE

3. A box Will open up asking for a drive number and name. Ignore this and click SIGN UP FOR ONLINE STORAGE OR CONNECT TO A NETWORK SERVER

4. When the WELCOME TO THE ADD NETWORK wizard pops up hit NEXT and select the second option which reads: CHOOSE ANOTHER NETWORK LOCATION etc...

Select it and hit NEXT

5. Enter the address of your FTP location: Mine is: FTP://budmanley@woh.rr.com/budmanley
    Make sure you put the directory name @ the web location or it won't work.

Hit NEXT

6. If you've done the above properley you should open up with a blank window like the one above. I have a folder called PICS that I store all my online photos in so its listed on mine.
    You should now be able to drag and drop or cut and paste to your webspace to your hearts content or until you run out of space
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Good tip!

Another approach is the one I use, but is not free. I have an account at mac.com, and use their iDisk XP utility program. One click and my storage space is added as a drive, similar to your mapping technique. From there is is just drag-and-drop from any folder on my PC to the Public folder on .Mac. Easy to add, delete, create folders, anything you would do with a 'normal' hard drive. I access this space with my Win XP machine at work and my Power Mac at home, works with any operating system, not just Mac. Cost for the account (includes my e-mail and storage, plus a few other services) runs about $100 per year. I don't have mine set for automatic mounting as I don't put photos up there that often, but you could do it that way.

.Mac has photo albums, home page templates, other resources for creating your own site, upload photos, video, pretty much anything you want to do. I don't use many of those services, but plan to do more in the future. If you want to check it out, the URL is:

.Mac

By default the Public folder is open to view by all, but you can control the security (and who can see what) on other folders in your account.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Another Option...

It's always a "to each his own" kind of situation. I use Photobucket.com to post all my images. The account was easy to set up, free, and provides very user friendly options. The main think I like about it is that I can access it from any computer anywhere to add, remove, or update pictures. Makes life alot easier.
      ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
      '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Working...
      X