Hand pain when riding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand pain when riding.

I have carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel syndrome in both arms. Supposedly not too bad. But when I ride it takes all of five to ten minutes before the hand pain and cramps set in. Longer rides will cramp my forearms. Just wondering if someone else has had the same experience, and perhaps had surgery? Thoughts and opinions are welcome
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

My "new" bike does that to me! I'm going to adjust the handlebars and change the grips. I've found in the past that the thicker grips are easier on my hands. The handlebar position can add or take away the pressure on your forearms.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My mother had surgery, she would just lose her grip. The strength would just disappear like a light switch. She did say it helped with that but she couldn't report on any handlebar comfort. Good luck, from what I know about it surgery is the only real treatment because your nerve tunnel gets chocked out.
      1979 XS1100 Special
      1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
      1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
      1976 XS750D Project in waiting

Comment

Been there. Had to stop riding to work and take the cage cause my R hand, wrist, & forearm would go numb after a few minutes, not good for brake action having no idea how hard I was squeezing the brake lever until the bike responded. Had tried the guy thing and ignore, push thru........ My wife set me up with the chiropractor to "fix" the wrist.. so after a few years I finally went to the doc and explained symptoms, 4 days later I get the EMG test (worst part, shocking) and results: Severe carpal tunnel with permanent nerve damage....... 2 weeks later I get the release procedure done. 10 days later it was like I never had anything wrong to begin with. Recovered most of my feeling in my thumb, index, & middle fingers. Looking back, I should have gone to doc much sooner.

---Bax
        80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

My wife had carpel tunnel release surgery some years ago in both hands. It was successful. You can watch the surgery on YouTube. Also, all of the information is on the internet. You just have to figure out how to sort through the garbage. With something like that, you're going to get conflicting information. IMHO, I prefer to exhaust all options before going under the knife or taking drugs. Until then, you can play around with different bars until your hands are in the right place.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Yes, at 64, numbness and cramps set in after about 20 mins. 45 years as a metal fabricator and mechanic have taken a toll.
            Love Affair since 1983 with my 1980 XS1100 Special, Blackie

Comment

I had the carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand...It helped a great deal..but it was the most painful surgery I ever had...for the 1st 20 hrs or so...Then I had a dead spot in my hand for about 2 years afterwards before that feeling went away...Surgery was in 2015. Now I have Arthralgia in both hands ..my neck and shoulders as well...I get trigger point injections every 3 months to help mitigate the discomforts...Some things surgery cannot cure...
              Last edited by madmax-im; 09-08-2020, 09:53 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I certainly don't have the medical issue you guys are mentioning, but I do like those little throttle paddles so you can relax the grip a tad. Once in a while the throttle lock to give the right hand a total rest on long, flat roads, without traffic, or wind, or...
                '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

I had the surgery done on my left hand 6 or so years ago. It helped greatly with the numbness and tingling feelings. It did take several months before I could comfortably hold the handlebars again. If you elect to go through it do it in the fall and let it heal through the winter so you will be ready to ride in the spring.
                  Slow down and enjoy life. If you are in that much of a hurry, you should have left eariler.
                  Current rides:
                  80 XS1100SG
                  82 JX1100
                  83 Venture Royale
                  86 V-Max

Comment

Thanks for the input. I don't think I'll escape surgery forever. I might try bar risers in the meantime, my bike doesn't seem to load my wrists all that much. (sigh)
                    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Every bike I get I usually change bars and grips to suit my arms and posture. It’s Just no fun riding if I’m not comfortable. Especially fatigued wrists and/or numbness.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

ACE Brand Wrap Around Wrist Support does the trick for me especially for my rt throttle hand. $4.47 each at Walmart

1967 Bultaco Metralla 250
                        RD125
                        1973 CT3 175
                        78 XS1100E
                        80 XS850SG

Comment

Working...
                        X