Got a new bike! Got a new bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL...
    I brought my $1500 digital camera to my last football game I was at with dead bettery and I forgot my battery charger.
    Snap before and after pics of your tank also please. This project does intrigue me greatley.
    I'd like to have someone just look at mine and tell me whether its running good or not. BEing my first motorcycle I have nothing to compare it too.
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Prometheus,
      If you're gonna make an omelette, you've gotta break a few eggs, right? Sounds like the cylinder and pistons were beyond repair anyway. How did you finally free up 2 & 3 once the cylinder seperated from the lower end? A little more "anvil chorus" on the crowns to loosen the rust?
      I'd be all over that $135 paint job. Sounds like a more than fair price. You going with basic black? Most powder coat finishes are very glossy, should look good without busting your budget.
      I've heard that some of these title places will get a title in a state that has minimum documentation requirements and then you get the bike re-titled in your home state. Can be a little pricey.
      How much futher will you proceed until the paperwork clears?
      Really looking forward to the photos. Gotta keep this thread going.
      80 G "The Beast"
      81 H "The Dresser"
      79 XS650 II
      82 650 Maxim
      70 DT-1 Enduro
      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Checked out that International Title Company web page. Intriquing... $75. I recall that there are some states that only require a bill of sale to transfer a vehicle. Nevada may be one of those. And obviously, a business like this located in Las Vegas surely knows about taking ownership of vehicles without titles once people lose all their money.
        Once #'s 2 and 3 lifted the cylinder, was able to get underneath and pry off the head the rest of the way.
        Took great photos today, 'cept now "Number One Son"'s puter can't download from "Number Two Son'"s camera.
        Stripped everything useful from the cylinder head and tossed both it and the cylinder in the dumpster. I hate throwing anything away, but both were damaged beyond feasible repair. If time permits tomorrow, split the case, remove piston chunks, and clean.
        My original thoughts for this project was to build this bike to give to my brother. I built an XS850 for him to ride (first time on a bike)when he visited last month, but to me... it looked too small for him. I know that he wants to be a real man and ride an 1100.
        I could have had this thing reassembled and running within two weeks were it not for the damaged engine; but with all the rust, corrosion and mold, would have looked like hell.
        Idea was to have a bike, painted and polished, to stuff in my blazer and haul out to Denver for him before spring. Was gonna be the 850, till I layed my hands on this special. I'm fighting time constraints here, plus my reluctance to strip engine parts from another bike. Though doable(how I hate that word), this machine would take twice as long to get ready as one of the two "Standards" that I have in the shed. (How I hate having to be practical)
        On a happier note: Saw in the paper today that there's an "E" model in Tacoma. Shall try to see it tomorrow. Ad says that it has carb problems. He wants $700.
        "I don't know... I've heard that carb problems are expensive to repair, and I don't know anything about fixin' motorcycles. I'll give you $450."
        We shall see...
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

A little bit intimidating!

Like building models as a kid. (Seat and side cover's AWOL)
          [IMG][/IMG]
          Grime, mold, corrosion, rusted and pitted cylinder bores, custom pistons and broken cooling fins, (cylinder, right side)
          [IMG][/IMG]
          At least those two fine young men put all the nuts and bolts in Zip-Lock bags for me! Reassembly's easy.... it's the clean, polish and paint that will kill me. I'd like to see those boobs on American Chopper build THIS bike... doing all the prep work themselves

Comment

I can hear Paul Sr. now... "enough of this putzing around, just get the friggin' bike done". Then off camera laugh all the way to the bank!
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

title exempt states
              .. new hampshire was the same way, any vehical over 10 years old no longer requires a title to register .. when i lived in conecticut i would still go up to NH to register my van and bikes, it was just to easy and way cheaper ,and no insurance required

.. as the little devil on your right sholder would say, stuff another motor in the bike and if you really needed to fix up the yuk motor you could take your time and change it back later

Comment

Just checking in on the status of this, and the newer, cleaner, dresser. I know which one I'd be working on, and I think we would be in agreement on that decision. Good price on the latest thoroughbred in the stable, should give you some room to move on repairs. Don't know about you, but 4 years after the divorce, the echoes of the bitching have been replaced by a soothing silence when it comes time to make purchase decisions. And I don't have to buy a new sofa to "offset" the bike. Life is good, more bikes make it better!
                80 G "The Beast"
                81 H "The Dresser"
                79 XS650 II
                82 650 Maxim
                70 DT-1 Enduro
                66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                96 H-D Road King

Comment

Looks like a little slice of heaven

[QUOTE]Originally posted by prometheus578
                  [B]Like building models as a kid. (Seat and side cover's AWOL)

Looks like heaven to me...I wish I had the space at home to do it like that. Maybe this is the year to build a big garage.

But, like oldbiker said, thanks to being free (7 years now) I can with no repercussions...like whinin' bitchin' etc. Considering my love for my guns, guitars, and computers, adding motorcycles to the mix would've been impossible. Now I do as I please.

Although, I may have to buy a new pistol to offset the latest bike now. Had my eye on a Kimber CDP Pro for ages. If I get that, then I'll have to find a XS650 or 450 maybe to offset that. It's a vicious cycle that only leads to a big giant smile on my face
                  80 XS1100SG
                  81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Yeah, had the dresser on the lift today. Flushed the brakes, but still not right, time to disassemble. Carbs are done, but waiting on float bowl gaskets.
                    Project bike: still awaiting the abandoned title paperwork. Have sorted most parts, but still haven't decided just how I want to rebuild it: Stock, or chopped/modified in some manner. As all the chrome is rusted, easy solution is to paint everything black for the stealth look.
                    Well, that answers that! New cylinder and head will come from the spare engine that some clown splashed red paint on. I have no probs with painting a whole engine black to cover that mess.
                    Too many projects, so little time.
                    JW... get a XS650 or an 850. Some Susie may appear in your life and want her own bike.

Comment

Prometheus & JW,
                      Well gents, looks like all of our lives took a turn for the better when we regained single status. Other than a job that I hate, I do pretty much what I want. JW, I'm on the other side of the gun spectrum. I'm passing on one a year to my son, and it's a good feeling.
                      Back to the thread, I've got a brake problem on my dresser which will be the next chore once the carbs are reassembled and tuned. Do you see your dresser on the road before Thanksgiving?
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

Comment

[i]JW... get a XS650 or an 850. Some Susie may appear in your life and want her own bike. [/B]
                        Better get the 850. The way the 650 vibrates, you may not be able to pry her off, and you could become obsolete.

Comment

Do you see your dresser on the road before Thanksgiving?
                          Could be. Had a rash of customer's bike's last week, so haven't had time to toy with her. Everything now is cosmetic, polishing aluminum, etc. Was shootin' for the Toy Run, Dec. 4th, I believe.

Comment

Edgo, If it runs, that's a bargain. Could be the beginning of a great retirement plan or a Love affair to end all affairs (Oh Claire...) (Hey, isn't that a town in Visconsin?)
                            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
                            X