Looking For A Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For A Key

Since the death of my cbr hurricane, Ive decided to stick with cruisers for awhile....more specifically "xs"es. I managed to rangle an 850. but i need an ignition key. if anybody has a key for a cylender number 3273, it would be greatly apreciated if i could get a copy. just let me know how muck it costs, and im more than happy to send u a money order----paypal probs.
    L. G.
    1979 XS1100SF
    Exodia, "The Forbidden One"
    1988 CBR600F Hurricane
    Tempest- died Aug. 10, 2005
    198x XS850
    -no name yet-

Take the ignition to any competent locksmith and they can make a key from it for you. Shouldn't cost you more then about $20.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

You may want to check with the Triples List. The 750/850 keys are different from the 1100 keys. They are made such that the slots are opposed to each other. It is very difficult to explain what I mean, but if you look into the keys you will see that one zigs zags from the bottom right to the top left and the other keys zig zag from the bottom left to the top right.LOL This sound stupid!!!
      Any way one person on the Triples list has a listing of keys available.

Marc

Comment

Thnx, ill try the triples site. I called the locksmith, but they said 50 and up. its cheaper to buy a whole new ign. switch
        L. G.
        1979 XS1100SF
        1988 CBR600F Hurricane
        198x XS850
        -no name yet-

Comment

Thnx, ill try the triples site. I called the locksmith, but they said 50 and up. its cheaper to buy a whole new ign. switch
          L. G.
          1979 XS1100SF
          1988 CBR600F Hurricane
          198x XS850
          -no name yet-

Comment

Now isn't that interesting

I was gonna mail you a copy of a key, and tell you how to re-key your cylinder yourself.
            I go out to the garage, pull the key out of one 850, and then compare it to the key out of the other 850.
            HHmmmm.... both bikes are 850 Specials(3J2), but have different style keys! They won't even fit in each other's keyway. I wouldn't know which one to send you.
            If you'd like, I could mail you both copys and post instructions about re-keying. (takes about 5 minutes to do)
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

New keys...

I have found that the local Yamamama dealer can get keys made for cheap if you have the number. I was given an extra tank with my XS with no key. I went to the dealer and got a new one for under $10.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Re: Now isn't that interesting

Originally posted by prometheus578
                I was gonna mail you a copy of a key, and tell you how to re-key your cylinder yourself.
                I go out to the garage, pull the key out of one 850, and then compare it to the key out of the other 850.
                HHmmmm.... both bikes are 850 Specials(3J2), but have different style keys! They won't even fit in each other's keyway. I wouldn't know which one to send you.
                If you'd like, I could mail you both copys and post instructions about re-keying. (takes about 5 minutes to do)

Pro: email me instructions on rekeeying my locks so, my ignition will match the rest. rwtrail:
                Hold er Nute she smells alfalfa

Comment

The Key to happiness is....

Take off your gas cap and pullout the key mechanism. Remember how everything is assembled.
                  Study these two beautifully rendered artist's sketches of key stuff.
                  Keep in mind that it's 2:00AM and I'm tired....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Once the back end of the key cylinder is exposed, it can be pulled out. There is a fifth keyway(not shown) This is the one that locks the cylinder into the outer drum. You can remove the cylinder from the drum by taking a small screwdriver or dental pick and manipulating the keyways one by one, as you pull the inner cylinder out. 'member that they are spring loaded, so don't dance around with the thing. (They won't go flyin', but just be aware that they are there)
                  Anyway... you now have the cylinder in your paws, and you can see the gates protruding from it. Stick your good key in the keyhole. Since it's not the correct key, there will still be some gates protruding out of the cylinder. They will stick up into the recess in the drum and prevent it from turning.
                  Take a fine file, and file down these protruding gates. They're only brass... doesn't take much. When the gates are filed down to the same level as the outer diameter of the cylinder, she's been re-keyed.
                  With the key in it, put the cylinder back in the drum. Remove the key... cylinder will lock. Put the key back in, gates retract, cylinder will turn. Reassemble key mechanism into gas cap.
                  A locksmith would take apart the cylinder, and either file a keyblank to fit the gates, or put in new gates to fit the key. As this is a cheap custom job, when locking, all gates may not fully deploy as before but will still lock. The original key will also still work, too.
                  "Tomorrow's lesson will be on how to pick a Master Lock in under 15 minutes using two paperclips."

Learned all this at college. I went to Penn State. (or was that State Pen? Can't recall)

Comment

What I have done sometimes is move the little gates around and if you are lucky you can get some to line up with the key prjections so that you do not have to file these, just file the ones that protrude outside the cylinder when the key is in.

Hope you get a key from the Triples group

Marc

Comment

correction

Just rekeyed the tank from my "mudpuppy" Special. There are only three keygates, not four as depicted. The last gate holds the cylinder in the drum and doesn't need to be reworked.

Comment

THANKS PRO
                        Hold er Nute she smells alfalfa

Comment

Will this wowrk on an ignition switch as well? Will it come apart that easily?
                          80 XS1100SG
                          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Just as easy, but there are 5 gates instead of 3 as in the gas cap. Do keep track of the way it was assembled. Not the key part so much, but the ignition disks and contacts. Plug it in and start the bike before putting it all back together. I can't recall, but it may be possable to reassemble incorrectly... where the bike will start in the "park and lock " position, and in the "on" position, only the parking lights will come on. (reversed)
                            Easy and enjoyable job.

Comment

awesome, yet another thing on the to-do list
                              80 XS1100SG
                              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
                              X