Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with Tech Tip

http://www.xs11.com/tips/repair/repair20.shtml

I was reading through the tech tips to look for assistance on a dizzying array of problems that crept upat the end of this summer and I saw that this tech tip contains a fatal flaw.
    I re-washed the entire unit in solvent and reassembled. It primed and bled easier and the slow pressure buildup no longer occurred.
    I had read Earlier Here that using solvent was BAD and that DOT 3/4 lines should only be cleaned with DOT 3/4.
    Brake system contamination

The single most common brake system failure caused by a contaminant is swelling of the rubber components (piston seals etc.) due to the introduction of petroleum based products (motor oil, power steering fluid, mineral oil etc.) A small amount is enough to do major damage. Flushing with mineral spirits is enough to cause a complete system failure in a short time. I suspect this is what has happened when some BMW owners changed to DOT 5 (and then assumed that silicone caused the problem). Flushing with alcohol also causes problems. BMW brake systems should be flushed only with DOT 3 or 4.
    Just thought I'd point this out. Unless of course I am mistaken as I am want to do.
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Bud;
    The solvent could be "brake clean" or denatured alcohol. They can both be used on brake parts, and not cause problems.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Solvent to me has always meant paint cleaner or Mineral spirits. I'm not a mechanic but if I was I probabley wouldn't need to be reading tech tips about cleaning brake lines.

I was hoping that perhaps someone could put a littel asterisk in there that says (Brake cleaner or the like *Not Mineral spirits or alcohol based product)
      Just a thought. Its defintiley a mistake that I would make. Hell since I don't have mineral spirits I would have used gasoline had I not read that post.
      Come to think of it I think I used kerosene when I cleaned it last. Oops.
      I noticed the brake fluid ikinda bubbled in the bottom of the can.
      79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
      07 V-star 1100

Comment

Clean and flush with brake fluid only, alcohol absorbs water and after evaporation can leave some water behind.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Water is a pretty popular solvent, too...I think the point that using only a brake-safe solvent, DOT 3 or 4, is a point well taken...
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hey Bud,

Those tips are in a different section of the site, and I don't have access to those files for editting!! And even though they are good sources of info, attention has been put towards the newer Tech tips section of the FORUM!
            T.C.

PS, just found the MIRROR copy of that old tip in the new section at this location:Slow brake pressure build up tech tip

And I have editted it as requested, THANKS!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC...Correct your correction please. Petroleum based solvents (naptha, kerosene etc.) don't just damage the rubber parts, they leave behind residue which will contaminate the brake fluid. It is extremely difficult to completely remove this contamination from the system. Contrary to what many believe, brake fluid is not petroleum based. No ATF or solvent please, only clean brake fluid should be used for cleaning and flushing brake systems. On our bikes that means DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
              XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Oh cool I didn't even know that section was there. LOL
                Thanks
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100

Comment

Working...
                X