Great time of year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great time of year!

It's a great time of year to be riding! Leaves are turning here in Colorado. In the high contry, aspen leaves are golden-yellow, and scrub oak are oranges, yellows, and macho maroons. In town, many of the maples and ash trees have turned as well. The temps were near 90 today! Ride those bikes before the snow flies!!!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Hey skids I have to agree it is a beautiful time of the year. We just came back from Colarado and I think the colors are a lot more than here in Minn. But either way ride that bike and enjoy Mother nature at her best.

woodbutcher

keep ridin'

Comment

Yeah, colorado is pretty this time of year, So is Minnesota though (spent the first 18 yrs of my life on a farm outside Montevideo). I just gotta get this bike running so that I can enjoy some of it :-D

Clark

Comment

Hmm, leaves are turning here too, but it sure isn't anywhere near 90. Where did I go wrong?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

But you're talking about Revelstoke...just darned near the north pole! :-)

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
          Hmm, leaves are turning here too, but it sure isn't anywhere near 90. Where did I go wrong?
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Yeah, this coming weekend I'm heading out to Lynchburg, Va., hoping to see some nice foliage colors. This will be my last rally ride of the season. It's just a local group I'm riding with, since I'll be missing the annual VJMC rally in Suches, Ga. this year! I have to attend a continuing education seminar in Chicago that weekend!

The weather here is in the low 80's or below lately, so the chill is in the air, but still quite comfortable! Keep Riding!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I found every excuse to get on the bike this weekend. North of nashville. Saw tons of riders too. Ahhh, ain't a gas!
              JimBoReeno
              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
              2000 Indian Chief
              Millennium Edition

Comment

Have been out the last 3 weekends on long (250+) mile rides. McClure Pass, Dunckley Pass, Grand Mesa plus the local roads are all in great fall colors, probably peak this last weekend. Temps have been near or set record highs for this time of year, no rain for the last week or so. Lots of bikes out. My digital camera died, so its been back to the Pentax 35mm until a new digital gets here. Next weekend I hope to get down to the Silverton - Durango area which is always a treat for fall riding. Long day, something like 400 miles if I make the entire loop.

I'm a sucker for fall Aspen photos, must have a couple hundred or so in my collection. Will scan and post a few if anyone is interested. Its the best time to ride in Colorado!
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

IMHO, aspens look best in low angle sunlight. I did the Grand Mesa, McClure pass, Colorado Monument trip about three weekends ago, and the aspens had not really taken-off yet. What a nice ride, though!

Originally posted by Jerry
                  Have been out the last 3 weekends on long (250+) mile rides. McClure Pass, Dunckley Pass, Grand Mesa (snip)
                  I'm a sucker for fall Aspen photos, must have a couple hundred or so in my collection. Will scan and post a few if anyone is interested. Its the best time to ride in Colorado!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

The ride/drive from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek is really nice too. You just gotta start early enough to dodge all the other traffic looking at the leaves.

Comment

Hey Jimbo,

The temps are supposed to warm up around here, (north of Nashville), I havent rode since Tuesday. But rode about 100 miles on Sunday (down to Manchester) and came back on Tuesday, I went hwy24 to Murphreesboro and then up to Lebanon on 231 and then over to Lafayette TN. was a nice ride. (took a so-called short cut that put me about 30 mi. out of the way, but heck it was fun).

How's the bike coming?

Later,
                      '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Was out yesterday, did about 375 miles. Went down to Ouray and over Red Mountain Pass to Silverton. Color is way past prime at these elevations (11K+ foot) but the cottonwoods and other trees in the river valleys are hitting their peak. Red Mountain is a good ride under almost any conditions, but the weather was near perfect, temps in 60's, few clouds in a blue sky. Quite a few other bikers out. Beat the storm heading in from the SW, this morning it is raining and there is fresh snow above around 7.5K foot elevation. May have been my last long ride of the season. On the other hand, my replacement ski arrived for the snowmobile, so is about time to get ready for winter!
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey John, etc.
                          I have been traveling for work last week and next, but went camping at Mammoth Cave this weekend, didn't take the bike though. Planning on putting some miles on next weekend. I hope the weather holds. I noticed some colors are starting so I am really looking forward to it.
                          The bike is running great. I just got new fork seals and will be tearing them down as soon as I am ready to let it sit for a few days in the garage!
                          John.. we should try to end up in the same spot somtime soon and ride some of these great backroads around here.
                          To All... Tennesse has some of the best roads in the country. I used to complain about how much money the state spends on paving...before I got the XJ11!
                          JimBoReeno
                          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                          2000 Indian Chief
                          Millennium Edition

Comment

I am hoping to get mine on the roads near here too. Twisties everywhere around here. For me, it's out of the traffic of Nashville...the people in that city are fools hell bent to kill everyone around them Time is running out though, sadly. I wish I had a garage to keep the bike in at home...as it is, I keep it in a storage room in Nashville.

Im already looking forward to spring. Ive never been a big fan of winter. I'll probably have to move to the desert when I get older, away from all the damn cold and moisture.
                            80 XS1100SG
                            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hey Jimbo, and JW, etc.

We will have to do some riding before "old man winter","Jack Frost" and the like get here!

When ya'll get ready call me.

home #615-644-5036,
                              cell#615-498-7790
                              leave messeage if you get voice mail. I'll call you back asap.
                              '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Working...
                              X