Paying the Piper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying the Piper

The Dragon, my 2001 Valkyrie motorcycle, has right at 80,000 miles on her. These were not easy miles. 10,000 of them last summer on the Alaska trip alone. That trip included hundreds of miles of gravel and dirt roads and a large variety of other severe conditions. I also commute on this beast...and there is a pattern to that...full power, peg scraping turns, slam on the brakes, hit a bump or three, lather, rinse, repeat.

In truth, I am astounded at the abuse this bike can take. I have never had a machine that could endure what I could dish out...and in fact, can endure more than I can, whether I'm dishing it out or not.

I took a couple hard hits on the 8000 mile trip I just returned from...it takes a lot of force to send a Valkyrie airborne...and although the Valkyrie engine is good for several hundred thousand miles, the truth is that 80,000 miles is generally a lot of miles for a motorcycle.

I do maintain my machine well, taking care of the small stuff keeps her reliable and ready for just about anything...but there are larger things that occasionally need attention. This time, the small stuff and the large stuff have all come due at the same time. Mainly, the suspension is worn out. I also picked up a stong vibration in the rear drive after hitting a rather spectacular hole in the highway...and that whacked my tach as well...I guess I'm lucky. It split the Metzler rear tire on the Harley that hit it about 5 minutes before I did, basically from ear to ear. (I waited with him for a wrecker).

So, about $1000 worth of parts is on the way. Ugh.

Let's see...on the way...
    Yet another new front tire
    New timing belts
    Shifter rod seal
    New Progressive fork springs
    Front fork bushings, seals, dust seals
    Front fork tool (special tool needed to remove the springs)
    Rear pinion joint (driveline)
    Rear drive shaft (driveline)
    Rear U-joint (driveline)
    Various seals/o-rings needed when assembling all the above
    Dust/oil seals for all locations on the wheels
    New dampener set for the rear wheel (rubber drive snubbers in the wheel hub)
    New Progressive 440 shocks for the rear (big wumpa $$, those are)

In addition, it's time to sync the carbs and do a valve adjustment. Oh, yeah, I've got to repack and adjust the pre-load on the steering head bearings as well. And of course I can't forget the three sets of brake pads ($100 bucks worth).

Gad, I hope all the junk comes in soon...the TeXSive Rally is in just a couple weeks, the VRCC Kerrville Ride In is the week after that...and of course, I'm riding to work next week...

Mainly, I've gotta have the tire. The rest of the stuff I can do in increments...

Oh, and lest I forget the "wanged" (technical term) tachometer, I've not ordered one...it's a high-dollar part, and I have hopes I can get this one back around and reading right with a little tinkering, even though it is a sealed unit. Of course, there could be an advantage to getting one while they are available new...sigh. Only money I guess.

Anyhooo...I'll be taking her apart and scattering pieces around my garage for a while...paying the piper as it were...

It doesn't even bother me...a lesser machine would be junk by now...The Dragon's just getting broken in...and I actually do like to work on quality machinery...

Paying the piper...yeah, I can do that. All in all though, when the music comes up...I'd rather be riding.

I'll see you on the road...

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    http://lifeisaroad.com
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

I know what you mean. When I first assembled and legalized my XS, all I asked from the bike was 10.000 km trouble free. I got about 20.000. Now the transmission needs work, had to replace the middle drive... and thats about it. Too bad, there is a few weeks of riding weather before winter and I'm stuck.
    I got a friend who offered his goldwing for a sunday ride, but I am uneasy riding bikes that are not mine to wreck.
    Hope you fix the Dragon soon.

See you on the road... if you ever come to yurp.

LP

PS: I'll buy some books as soon as cash starts flowing Won't be much, but it should be enuff for a fork seal or two.
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Hey Dragonrider
      Good to see ya returned well. You know Dragon,s need to eat to.

XSivly
      Bruce
      Bruce Gerken
      '79 XS1100SF
      "The Black"
      '2009 BMW k1300GT'
      The Red Sled.
      St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Working...
      X