No announcement yet.

Anyone tried a different differential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a different differential?

I have noticed you guys seem to have a very limited selection of pinion ratios for the XS 1100. Have any of you considered adapting another diff from another make of yamaha shaft drive? V-max stuff seems to have loads of stuff.

I have pondered this same question while thinking about smaller gear ratios. But, when I really think about it, I don't need the bike to go any faster and I like the git-up.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I know you can get gear ratios for the V-Max. I'm going to try and see if I can "re-gear" later on. I was thinking of going with V-Max stuff, as I plan on pulling a LOT of hp out of this motor.
      My idea was use the shaft and final drive from a Max, and regear for the hp I can get out of the XS engine.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I haven't researched the yami stuff yet, but it doesn't make fiscal sense to retool every different model diff. Honda sure didn't. They have whole years and makes and models that use the same bolt pattern for the diff and same pivot bolt for the swing arm. So it makes a bolt up proposition for some swaps. Especially if you use the rim the swing arm came with.

Haven't researched it, like I said, but the four bolt pattern of the yamis I have looked at so far sure look close!

Comment

I recently saw thw final drive and rear wheel from a Virago on an xs11 at a salvage yard recently, so maybe the xv final drive has different gearing. It had to be from an xv, because it had curved spokes and drum brakes. I don't know if the swingarm was xv or xs though.

Comment

Hey John,
            The XS's final ratio is listed as a set of fractions for the final drive assembly as such:44/47 x 19/18 x 33/10 = 3.26

The XV920 is 47/46 x 19/18 x 32/11 = 3.14 .

So...it looks like it might be a tad steeper, but not that much?
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i was woundering the same thing i was wanting to go to a better gear ratio for drag racing since these bikes are not made for high speed and i like drag racing and i just run around the street most of the time anyways and never go much over the speed limit

so does anybody know about changing the gear ratios on the xs1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f standard
              best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

If you can mate up a V-max diff you have a very large choice of ratios- that is why I am asking the question LOL

Comment

Working...
                X