Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back rest for a XJ

Hi All,

I just got finished making a backrest for my XJ and thought others might be interested in the design. I am going to add a luggage rack pretty soon and will update then as well.

(What a great looking bike!!)

Believe it or not the uprights are salvaged from an old BBQ grill stand. The square metal is exactly the right size. I am planning on using the curved parts that hold up the side tables for the luggage rack.

For the backrest pad:
    I used 3/4-inch plywood cut in the shape I wanted. I cut 4-1 inch sheets of foam in the same shape and pulled vinyl around the foam and the 3/4-inch plywood. I pulled it tight, stapled it to the back of the plywood, and trimmed the excess vinyl.
    I then pulled vinyl around a 1/4 piece of plywood cut in the exact same shape and stapled it.
    I used wood screws with finishing washers to attach the 2 pieces together.

Be sure NOT to put screws where the uprights will be attaching
    I then dotted each wood screw with clearcoat to inhibit any rust that might want to form.
    (If you want to have the backrest made in leather or to match your upholstery, have it done at a shop. They will probably charge $20-$40 for a small job like this.

I then attached the uprights to the seat frame, where the crosspiece originally bolted using the bolts from the bike. (Just measure up and drill a hole in the inside of the square metal where the other cross piece bolted in.)

I predrilled the metal to accommodate the lag screws and predrilled a pilot hole in the backrest. I them used 2 inch lag screws with finishing washers to attach the backrest while my wife sat on the bike and told me how high to adjust it.

My mantra is "never throw ANYTHING away!" so I had the old grill pieces and always have scrap plywood.
    This project cost me about $9 for the screws and vinyl!

Another note: I also took an old broom handle, (NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!) that happened to be the perfect size to fit snuggly inside the square metal, and hammered it before drilling. I did this for increased rigidity and in case I want to attach eye-screws or a lashing point on the sides to lash stuff on. (See the little holes in the uprights? They were already there from the grill.) Be sure to allow enough room for the upright to fit all the way over the seat attachment, and allow clearance for the rubber cap at the top.
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Looks pretty sharps there MCGuyver!
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

JimBo, That’s a great looking bike! I have an 1100XS that I want to do the same thing to. Will you post pictures of the transition area where the original seat bar is? Also does it mount to the signal light area?

Thanks
      Kevin
      1981 XS1100
      Eleven Special

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Hate to tell you this, but the XJ's grab rail comes up with open sections for a VINYL grab rail to fit/bolt into. SO it's fairly easy to mount metal into it for a back rest. The XS's are all one piece, curved across the back, so unless you drill into the grab rail, it's a bit tougher to mount supporting bars onto them!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
          I am not sure about the mounting for the XS. I will have to defer to Top Cat on the difference. I will put up a pic, but it sounds like the set up is completely different. I will try to get the pic up this week.
          Jim
          JimBoReeno
          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
          2000 Indian Chief
          Millennium Edition

Comment

Jimbo,

That is a sharp backrest, you are quite industrius, I may get you to help me build something for my bike. I was thinking like a small trailor to pull behind it

Really, that backrest and luggage rack you made for your bike looks really good in person too, I enjoyed our ride Saturday, look forward to more of those.

Keep the shiney side up.
            '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

OK...I have actually thought about building a trailer!
              I did build one for my bicycycle that worked great. My family and another went over to the MO Katy Trail (100+ mile multi-use railtrail) and biked for about 40 miles hauling all we needed!
              Thanks for the kind words and I had a blast as well!

Take Care
              JimBoReeno
              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
              2000 Indian Chief
              Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
              X