20 years of nothing now this!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 years of nothing now this!!

Got my first ever ticket on a motorcycle today , A NY State Trooper pulled in my driveway right behind me today. Said he clocked me at 73 in a 55 (luckily I was slowing down to turn), anyway due to my fairly good record he only gave me a 'failure to comply with a traffic contol device'. Thank you sir, that saved me about $100 for sure, and at least one point on my squeeky clean license.

Alright who else has ended up on the wrong side of the law on thier bike lately?

Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

I probably could have outrun these guys!

Gary Granger

Comment

Hmm... the last time was this spring, when I managed to outrun the suckers
      No plate on the bike (kawa 600), ergo no funny mail or strange vee-hicles on the driveway...

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Meetings with the law

Not lately, but long ago and far away in Pittsburgh, PA we went out to pick up pizzas... Two guys, two girls, two bikes. It turned out the girls could not hold the pizzas in front of us while sitting behind, so they got on facing backwards as we rode back to where others were waiting. We got pulled over, but the cops were laughing so hard they let us go with only a warning. The girls then faced forward and held the pizzas up over their heads while we crouched down over the bars and rode slowly onward.

Comment

Not long ago, I put a TKAT forkbrace on the Rat bike. I was on my way home from work and although I was staying in my lane, I was weaving extreamly wide, side to side. Wouldn't you know it, a MC cop was coming the other direction and he cocked his head at a 45 degree angle to his shoulder as he watched me. He did NOT pull me over. Pfew!
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have been pulled over for that (weaving in my lane).

Cop said, "You were weaving."

I said, "It's MY lane."

That was the end of it.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

20 Years Of Nothing, Now this

Hey Gary,
              I met up with Russ from Conneticut in July. He was here for the BMW rally in Trenton, Ontario. He was staying in a small place called Picton. I came up from Toronto for a Sunday ride with him
              We were riding through town following a truck pulling a big boat. The road opened up to 2 lanes, so Russ went on the inside and passed it. I was expecting the boat and truck to change lanes. when he didn't I gunned it hard and passed it too. I looked back in my mirror only to be pulled over by an O.P.P officer on a motorcycle no less
              He took me through his lecture and then started asking about my bike. I happened to have some pictures of when I first got it and what it looked like. He ended up talking about motorcycles and let me go.
              Poor Russ... Comes up for a visit and I almost get us nabbed

Wayne Reddin
              80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
              Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Re: 20 Years Of Nothing, Now this

Wow! The dreaded OPP really let you go Wayne?
                With all the time I've spent in Ontario this past year, I've developed a healthy fear of them (out of country plates are a factor too)
                Deb
                Originally posted by Wayne Reddin
                I looked back in my mirror only to be pulled over by an O.P.P officer on a motorcycle no less
                Wayne Reddin

Comment

I had to think a long time for the time when I got a ticket on a bike. I was coming home from getting my motorcycle licence. It was a cold March day and there was snow in the air. All I was thinking of was get home and warm up. It had to be the late 60's . I was on my brother's 175 Honda. That was the only moving ticket. In about 1977 four of us parked in one parking spot and didn't put any money in the meter. Wouldn't you know it! We all got a $2 ticket.
                  Tom
                  2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
                  gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

CRIKEY!!

you scared me with those flashing lights, gary!
                    - dan
                    - thinker57@lycos.com
                    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Whoops! Sorry!
                      Gary Granger

Comment

Re: 20 years of nothing now this!!

The officer is out of line pretending to be a D.A. That level of change is supposed to be done through plea bargain negotiations. I am betting you can get the ticket thrown out completely, since it was originally issued for something you didn't do at all.

Originally posted by sixtysix
                        anyway due to my fairly good record he only gave me a 'failure to comply with a traffic contol device'. Thank you sir, that saved me about $100 for sure, and at least one point on my squeeky clean license.

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: 20 years of nothing now this!!

Originally posted by skids
                          The officer is out of line pretending to be a D.A. That level of change is supposed to be done through plea bargain negotiations. I am betting you can get the ticket thrown out completely, since it was originally issued for something you didn't do at all.
                          Back in the mid '80s, one a hot summer day like today(95...105 with heat index!), I had my little spill on the local highway coming home from work, crested a hill, had the cruise control on, traffic in both lanes were panic stopping at an on/off ramp, hit the brakes, but kinda forgot..was unable to turn off the cruise control in my own panic attempts to stop, eventually crossed up the front wheel at 55mph, slammed me down, fell clear of the bike, and rolled a good while, bike broke off #1 spark plug, killed the engine, it slid from left lane across to edge of right lane onto shoulder, nobody ran over me, my bike didn't hit anybody/thing. I collected my shoes, and proceeded to pick up the bike, found some car belt fibers on side of road to tie down the broken half of plug and cap back on. Was just getting ready to fire it up and proceed on home when the Highway Patrol came across the median, stopped and chatted with me. Observing my several spots of road rash, the law was that since somebody got hurt-ME, somebody had to get a ticket!!! He gave me a choice of "wreckless driving", or "Following too close". Uhhhh, I'll take door # 2 there Monty!!!!

A few years prior to that, I was driving home from work at the base, was approaching a local city 2 mile long 4 lane 2 way road, had a 90 degree left bend in it about half way thru it, they were repaving right half, had a few cones around the rain/sewer drains but the lane wasn't marked off...just uneven pavement, they had one sign that said NO PASSING...not lane closed! Just a little ways up the road I could see traffic was jammed in the left lane, and after I passed beginning of the new section, I simply strolled into the right lane, went around the bend, and could then see the paving machine near the end of the road in the right lane. All of the cars were in the left lane. The speed limit was 35, I didn't realize I was going a little faster, but the MC cop and his radar sitting at the bend did, and he proceeded to pull me over and ticket me for speeding and disobeying posted signs(No Passing).

In my mind, when there's two lanes of traffic in the same lane, I never considered it passing, just progressing faster in my lane. I always thought passing involved having to go outside of your lane into the opposing traffic lane to be "passing"?! But, all along the way there were also posted signs that said "Keep Right", and they weren't covered up. So...I took pictures, then went to the library, found out about requesting the cops calibration records for the radar gun, and in court I argued that just like a speed limit sign you first encounter would say 35, then further down the road you see 25, you don't keep obeying the 35, hence, since I saw the other signs that said "Keep Right", I was obeying them!! The cop had had his gun calibrated within the required time frame!

The judge asked me if I was a lawyer or studying to be one, because I should since I argued my case better than any of the ones he had had in there that day. He tore up the disobeying signs, and gave me just the speeding, so I only lost 2 instead of 4 points! Partial victory in any case!!
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                          X