Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motors

So there I was this afternoon doing a woodturning demonstration in
    Grizzly Plaza as part of our annual Mountain Arts Festival when I noticed this nasty smell. I stopped the lathe, and noticed wisps of smoke coming out of the motor. Heres what it looks like inside:

The motor is a 3/4HP Leeson TEFC farm duty unit. Does anybody know if these things can be repaired for less than the cost of new?
    Ken Talbot

Hi Ken,
    Normally they can but the price can vary depending on several different things. Check with your local motor rewinder and compare new and rewind price and go from there.

Raph Meeks
    Ralph Meeks
    79F
    80SG

Comment

replacement

it may be cheaper to replace it with something from a place like Princess Auto or another aftermarket source, some motors cant be rewound and some arent guaranteed if they are.....
      Bruce Doucette
      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

W. W. Grainger generally has the best price on electric motors, particularly if you qualify for one of their institutional discounts, i.e. government, school, and a few others. A few years back I needed a motor, Grainger was about $35.00 compared to around $100.00 from other sources.

W. W. Grainger Home Page

A quick check shows a Farm-Duty, capacitor-start Dayton 6K719, 3/4 hp, 1725 rpm, NEMA 56 frame, 115/230v unit at $152.50 (US dollars) with no discounts.

'Course you Canadians have to add some to make the conversion to Canadian dollars...always causing problems....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

would a 1725 rpm 1/2 hp be any good to you?
          Dave in Rupert

Comment

I don't think it will be worth it to have the motor rewound. If it's less than a few HP, you'll probably spend more than new.
            2010 Kawasaki Z1000
            1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

No, Dave, 1/2 hp would not be up to the challenge. There have been times when the 3/4 was also a bit on the weak side - like when I've been doing some serious initial roughing on a large blank. About that time, the 450 pounds of sandbags I use for extra weight beyond the machine's own approx 300 pounds even was also not enough.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
              X