Any video editing experts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any video editing experts??

Anyone have any video editing experience??

I'm trying to convert some VHS tapes into DVD and I'm having a problem getting sound on the finished product. I'm using an external (USB) video capture device which I'm feeding my VCR into. I can see the pic, I can hear the audio when I'm recording into the computer, but when I preview it or when I've burned to a DVD, I get the most beautiful SILENT PICTURE you can ever imagine.

I'm currently using Pinacle Studio 9, but have the same problem with the software that came with it, WinDVDCreator, which leads me to believe that it is some setting in WinXP that I've missed.

Any ideas?

Also looking for software recomendations. What's the best/worst software for this?
    Last edited by xssiveone; 09-09-2005, 12:19 PM.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Not an expert, but...

I don't know what video capture device you are using, but I know I tried to do a similar thing using a USB and the cable was not fast enough. If your device has the option of using a FireWire cable, and you have a FireWire port, try it.
    I had to buy a FireWire card before I could get sound and picture to record properly.
    This may not relate to your problem, but saw your post and thought I would try to help!
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Comment

Found this on their website.........

"IMPORTANT – It is required for the source to be playing and displayed in the preview window PRIOR to pressing the Capture button. This step is important, if the video and audio are not playing from the source prior to pressing capture, audio dropouts or no audio captured at all may result."

Also this........

"1. Check to make sure that the correct audio capture device is selected. In Studio go to "Setup -> Capture Source" and make sure that the device selected in the audio capture pull-down matches the device selected in the video capture pull-down. For instance, if a DVC90 is the capture device it should be selected for the Audio and Video capture device. This setting should not be set to the sound card if the capture device being used has audio inputs.

2. If the capture device is not available as a selection in the Audio capture device pull-down, reinstall the capture device. Go to Device Manager and locate the capture device in the Sound, video and game controllers section. Right click on the capture device and choose Uninstall. Next, disconnect the capture device and reinstall the driver for the device. Click here to get the drivers for the various capture devices.

Install the driver and reboot the computer. Reconnect the capture device and see if the problem is resolved.

3. Next Check the Audio Control Panel, which is located on the right hand side of the diskometer in Capture mode. Make sure that "Audio Capture" is set to "On" and make sure that the recording level if available is up."

Couldn't link it, so I just posted it here...
      Good luck...
      1979 xs1100sf
      1972 cb500 four

Comment

I used Pinnacle 9 for a while. I plugged my 8mm camcorder into my 9800AIW video card though. I had problems also but it's always do to selecting the proper device for audio capture. Good luck.
        If you find that your movies won't fit on a DVD then use studio9 to create the image then DVDShrink to burn the image to a DVD.
        Works pretty good for me anyway.
        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
        07 V-star 1100
        Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Of course the Link I gave doesn't work. Hmm. OK try this ONE I know it works because I just downloaded it from there and installed it.
          The reason I use DVD shrink is because my authoring software doesn't work with my DVD burner and my DVD burner software won't allow me to copy movies if they're to large to fit on the disk.

So. Use DVD shrink to get your pinnacle movie to the proper size, create a disk image with it then burn the image using the software that came with the burner.
          79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
          07 V-star 1100
          Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Thanks everyone.. got it working. It was just a setting in sound properties. Didn't have line in checked off for some reason.

On to the next one now... my copy of Pinnacle won't let me convert to DVD without registering it. Since it isn't mine, I'm not registering it... just borrowed it from a friend for testing purposes so that's not going to happen. It does look like a really neat program tho, so might actually invest in a legal copy of it.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Manley
              The reason I use DVD shrink is because my authoring software doesn't work with my DVD burner and my DVD burner software won't allow me to copy movies if they're to large to fit on the disk.
              Thanks Bud.. I'm familiar with DVD shrink and it is a great prg.
              Brian

Comment

Hey Brian,

Well, now that you figured out the "line In" setting, did you try your DVD Creator program?? With Pinnacle, can you import the video and save it as an MPG or MP2? IF so, then just use the same video formats that are legal for DVD, 720x480 size, whatever video bit rate looks good, FULL DVD quality sound, and other settings. THEN, use your DVD creator, import the MPG's and it'll convert them into the DVD formatted files for burning!!
                Hope this helps!?

I just did a bunch(20) DVD's for patients that we just did Laser Vision correction on last week. Each surgery was about 5minutes for 1 eye, 10 for 2 eyes. I first captured them with my little ole ATI AIW card and software, then used my ole Ulead VIdeo Studio ver 5 to add titles, sounds, transitions, and advertising , and then used my NEODVD authoring prg to convert the MP2's into DVD images, and then Nero to burn them to DVDs! Was about 10 hours total time...phew!!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Audio and Video Synch problem!!??

Hey there Video Gurus,

As I mentioned before, I have Ulead's Video Studio ver5, they are on 9 now! I have a 1.333Mhz AMD Athlon, 512MB ram, ATI Rage 128 AIW video capture card. I've got Win98SE(Don't LAUGH), have to use DirectX8.0b due to drivers for TV Tuner
                  /capture card, won't work with Dx9.0!

My problem: I can capture video and audio in FULL 720x480 DVD resolution...7mbits rate. The captured video and audio look and sound just fine, and in perfect synch. However, when I try to reprocess it, either thru cutting out segments...like commercials or other unwanted clips, the reprocessed clips get OUT OF SYNCH....looks like a cheap martial arts film....mouth moves, then sound comes!

IT happens with both my Ulead program, but also with my NeoDVD authoring program, which allows me to set in and out marks on each video segment to cut and clip to desired lengths.!!

Question: Could it be just bad older code, or could it be that my AMD processor can process the data properly vs. a real PENTIUM?

I've found some slightly newer version of programs by ULEAD, I'm used to their interface.....I can get ver. 7.0 which incorporates the total editting package and a DVD authoring Wizard as well!

Any thoughts on what's happening with my system? In about another year, I'll probably build my next system....seem to be getting a new one every 4 years, but I would like and hope that a simple newer software solution might work?
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Not a problem with the CPU, AMD's have all the MMX, SSE code that Intels have.

Did you check on the Ulead site for updates?

Do you have all the recent updates for 98SE?

You might even consider Linux, it's free and distributions like Fedora are getting pretty user friendly. Install Gnome and its like using windows. Lots of free programs like video editing and authoring availible.

It's a big jump, but one you will not regret.

Steve
                    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                    Norton Electra - future restore
                    CZ 400 MX'er
                    68 Ducati Scrambler
                    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

video up-grade?

Hey TC

check the min. requirements on newer software. They generally understate reasonable requirements. Might be to much for old systems.

For editing: Fast hard drive(s)
                      1 gig+ mem
                      firewire capture usually better than USB
                      (true USB2 not bad)
                      capture cards generally better than USB add-ons
                      win98 not a very good platform for video.

When you get a newer computer don't toss your old one. Pick up a kvm switch so you can run both from same key board etc..
                      You can use a cross over? cat5 cable to link them together or switches (much better) are real cheap nowadays.

Really cool to work on the same film on two machines at the same time or capture with one while working on the other.

I run three machines on a 4 port kvm switch, plus a small net work with netgear switches/print server and router. Can have as many as 10 computers running on my network.

mro
                      PS: ASUS has very good mother boards for both Intel and AMD

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas,

Yeah, I was thinking my CPU was alright, if not a little slow in today's standards. I have been using WinXP in my laptop for about a year now, came with it, and it seems to be alright, I have it set on Standard Win98 style interface....never did like the active desktop!

I had purchased Win98 for my 2nd computer(AMD K6/2-333Mhz) in '98, and just didn't like the idea of giving MS anymore of my $$, and so that's why I installed a copy of 98SE on my 2002 AMD Athlon system. I've got all the upgrades that I can put on it aside from the aforementioned Dx9.0. My capture card uses S-VHS or RCA component input....no Firewire or USB, I have an older Super8 camcorder-analog, not DV, don't use it much anyways so doubt I would want to bother with DV. I do plan on getting a decent Dig Still Cam soon.

I'll have to check the specs on my MoBo to see IF it can handle 1gigRam? And I guess I'll have to invest in a WinXP OS, I've learned Windoze, and don't want to try to learn another OS now, sorry about that Linux! So...perhaps it's the buggy underlying OS code that's causing the programs to have trouble, sounds reasonable. I just hate to have to bother with the registration of XP, so I won't be able to use the same copy I get on any NEWER machine due to the hardware not being similar, IF I want to keep running both machines with Internet access!!

I guess I could install it on one, activate it, then isolate it=no internet, then install on newer machine....re-activate it for newer machine with internet access!? Sssshh, don't tell MS!!!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Another thought, if you know the manufacture/make/model/revision of the motherboard, go to the manufactures site and see if there are any updated drivers for 98. If its a Via chip board install the latest 4inOne drivers. Also check to see if DMA is enabled for the IDE subsystem. Sometimes its not by default. Should be a setting in the BIOS, and I think the 98 IDE driver has a setting for it too. Be aware some of the earlier boards will not work with this setting enabled.

If you have an ATX case, motherboards and CPU's are really cheap now, not to mention memory. I buy most of my stuff from mwave.com.
                          good fast service and they haven't made a mistake yet. Newegg is good too.

If you want to upgrade and need advice on what to get, just ask, I buy lots of this stuff for the Physics Dept, and am reasonably current in my knowledge of whats a good buy.

Steve
                          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                          Norton Electra - future restore
                          CZ 400 MX'er
                          68 Ducati Scrambler
                          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

btw

When you do a new os install and after activation, burn a drive image to your optical drive. Then if you have to reinstall down the road use the image so you don't have to reactivate or reinstall all the drivers.

dv camcorders can be operated by your computer through firewire. makes it a little easier. xp also has movie maker?, daughter uses it with out problems.

Have pinnacle/ulead/adobe, all work ok. Had problems with 98se though. A lot of new hardware not compatible w/98(no drivers). 98se worked with all other programs real well but have "bit the bullet" and got "oem" xpPro from frys for all but one machine.

mro

Comment

Originally posted by mro
                              xp also has movie maker?, daughter uses it with out problems.

mro
                              Interesting, I just heard about this program this morning and was going to ask about it. Can you do video editing with it, or just recording?
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X