Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising "new-old" MC Technology!

Dear Group,
    After fixing my sister-n-laws electrical bugs so that it would pass inspection, she got me a great book about the pictorial history of USA made bikes from the beginning to present.

This first image is of a Belgian Inline 4 Cylinder, complete with SHAFT drive, circa 1908!! Sorry, don't have the stats on displacement or Horsepower, but it was shown for reference of the USA made 4 cylinders by companies like ACE, Pierce, and CURTISS.

This next pic is of a CURTISS V-8 with Shaft drive, 1907 model year, 7 feet long, 4000cc displacement developing a wopping "40" horses at 1800 rpm, it weighed 275 lbs, took 2 miles to get up to speed and topped out at 136.36mph, took an additional 1 mile to stop it,"NOTE the Friction rear brake!"
    Apologies for the size of pic, it was a large book and it covered two pages, wanted to keep the size to display the details, the gas tank is in the frame, the OIL tank is on the top rail,...they didn't have recirculating oil chambers back then. If you recognized the name, yes, they went on to produce aircraft engines!!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Cool . . . and . . . Good grief!

<Very large biker type dude picturing 136 mph on that, and a small bump in the road . . . at THAT steering!>

Urrrggggghhhhh . . . .

Sign me "Very thankful for current technology"
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Did you catch the 'Corbin's Ride On' show on speed channel last night? They went to the British Motorcycle Museum and showed alot of the bikes there. Quite nice.

[b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

the "Curtis" looks like the first "cafe" style with handle bars like that. Or maybe a drag bike. My fav's are the brakes and u-joint.
        Bill
        '80 xs11 Special

Comment

Working...
        X