New XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XS

How's $10k sound for a midnight special with 2 miles on it?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

i'd say go for it if it's truly got 2 miles on it
    Dennis 79' XS1100F 80'XS650Special Lets Git-R-Done And Cruise

Comment

That's one of those things you find, buy and never want to use.
      A few years ago I bought a Winchester model 62-A or maybe its a 63-A made in the early fifties and never fired. No marks on the slide, wood, reciever, even the magazine tube follower was un marked. A fellow that knows I like older guns brought it to me and sold it to me cheap. I took it home showed off my new prize and stuck it in the closet with the rest of the toys. One day my sons called and asked if they could "shoot the 22s" before I got home from work. Never thinking they would pull that one out...Got home went around back and saw my youngest finishing up the second box of ammo through it. Oh well, I flipped out, was putting it away and he said "you should try it out Dad, it sure is sweet". I guess it's too late to say long story short but I pumped out a few rounds and he was right. I take it out one in a while for kick. Anyhow, I guess what I was getting at was will you be able to bring yourself to ride it????
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

I'm not interested in this bike ($$$$), just thought it would be interesting food for thought for a thread topic. Can't quite figure out how a NEW 25 yr old vehicle of any kind would be available. Maybe acquired as an investment? Also, Im figuring some work would have to be done prior to starting the thing. Would't the years take a toll inside the motor?
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

We had this disscussion at the rally in Maine a few years ago. A Midnight Special with less than 2000 miles showed up. I was asked if I thought the bike was worth $10K, in the nearly perfect condition it was in.

I think I suprised most people by telling them 'NO' it was not worth it to me. My bikes are rode hard and have many stories to tell...this bike had no stories to tell...it actually made me kind of sad.

The bike was begging to be rode hard and and enjoyed and it just sat 99% of the time.

I'm sorry if this bursts anybodies bubble but for $10K, there are a lot better bikes out there. Now if it was $2K...the I think you have found a steal...

If I spent $10K on anything I better be able to enjoy it $10K worth, for some people looking at something and not driving (riding) it is worth it...that's OK in my book, but it's not my bag.

My XS's delivered 10X the price in enjoyment...a very sound investment in my opinion. A 2 mile bike is a big waste because nobody has any stories to tell.

Pictures of said Midnight Special, an awesome bike, but not worth $10K to me:

[IMG]/forum/images/tips/20050830-xs_north_east_2003_me_028b.jpg[/IMG]
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I saw an '81 H the other day that still had ZERO miles on the clock, and I'l bet you could have bought it for quite a bit less than $10K

Ken Talbot

Comment

Good one, Ken.
              ...and in 49,000 miles, I'll have a "new"one, too.

Other than clean the carbs and change the oils, should be no different that what we ride now. The tires I'd toss, too
              Sure is a beauty.... but not for $10,000.
              Did they come "stock" with windscreens? Or, why a windscreen with only 2 miles on it?
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If it's really got 2 miles on it and I had some bucks I'd buy it (but not for no 10 big ones, it ain't worth that much), change the tires and fluids and ride it every rainy day just to piss collectors off. On second thought it might be worth 10 grand to piss off collectors! LOL
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

if it was in the uk i would go for it,i would have to cancel my new sports bike next year but i aint got a midnight,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad
                    I'm not interested in this bike ($$$$), just thought it would be interesting food for thought for a thread topic. Can't quite figure out how a NEW 25 yr old vehicle of any kind would be available. Maybe acquired as an investment? Also, Im figuring some work would have to be done prior to starting the thing. Would't the years take a toll inside the motor?
                    Hey laxdad, August 2004, I bought a 1980 XS1100LG with 65 miles that had/has never been titled. I got the MSO with it, and have been riding "OUTLAW" since. I guess in the next few weeks, I will finally break down and register it, but don't really want to. Just thought it might be worth more with the MSO, but then, would I really want to sell it? Only paid $2K, and felt I got the short end of the stick. Mine had been sitting too long, and needed many, many things done inside the carbs, tank, and petcocks. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have passed on it. I had been trying to buy this same bike for 20 years, and the dealer finally called and said OK. Since I have straightened out the fuel system, there have been several great rides. Now has almost 3.5K miles, with no trouble. New tires and added a Slipstreamer mini windshield for comfort. Really would like to have a backrest/luggage rack. Maybe soon if I can find one.

Just my 2 cents worth. BTW anyone else have a Midnight? I need lots more pics. Haven't seen another one at any of the rides, yet, but will not quit taking my camera in search of another "Midnight Rider".
                    Midnight Rider

1980 XS1100LG

Intruder Alert!!!

2002 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

XSive rules. Ride it like you stole it, unless it's mine. Then just PUTT, PUTT, PUTT!!!

Happy XSing

Comment

There were 4 MNS at Big Is. Deuce. Since then one has come to live at my home.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

MSO ?????

Lots of work but look what you have, an award winner!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Best antique in the show.
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

Oops, sorry. MSO=Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. What the dealer has when the bike is new. This is sent to the Department of Finance or whatever your locale calls it, and then a title is issued.
                          Midnight Rider

1980 XS1100LG

Intruder Alert!!!

2002 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

XSive rules. Ride it like you stole it, unless it's mine. Then just PUTT, PUTT, PUTT!!!

Happy XSing

Comment

Working...
                          X