Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Nightmare

Bike keeps blowing main fuse.
    History: Bike's a '95 Kawa 1000 police version. I had just replaced the stator and hooked up auxillary lights the week prior, and there were no probs then.
    Got it back in the shop and rechecked my work. After an hour of fruitless searching, called the owner for permission to yank all the cop wiring. (Too many spliced wires, open connectors, hot wires, etc) Still blowin' main fuse intermittently!
    Pulled all the fuses but the main, and reconnected them one by one. When I reconnected the headlight fuse, the main blew! "What the hey?"
    Why would the headlight circuit blow the main, and not the headlight fuse?
    Someone had put a 30 amp in the headlight circuit instead of a 10 amp. Put in a 10 amp and it fried immediately! The short in the headlight circuit wasn't strong enough to blow that 30 amp, but would overload the 30 amp main which runs everything else. Now I'm gettin' somewhere.
    Disconnected the headlight... still fried the 10 amp. Only thing left on the circuit is the tail light, but it works. ?
    (remember now, that it only blows fuses intermittently)
    No amount of wire jigglin' on my part would cause the fuse to blow.... it seems that it would just do it when it wanted to.
    Culpret? Pinched tailight wire under the rear seat. I was getting the fuse to blow only when leaning over the bike checking the wiring with my right hand while supporting my upper body with my left hand pressing down on the rear seat!
    After calling the owner... he THEN informs me that it only seemed to happen when he was giving his wife a ride.
    First: I had to recheck all my electrical work in case I caused it.
    Secondly: I had to check all around the carbs and valve covers as I was in there, too.
    Thirdly: I had to rule out the cop wiring due to all the exposed wires.

Oh, he's gonna pay dearly for this one! And I won't feel badly about it, either!

(Re: my post in the harley thread. The harley guy showed up at work when I was in the middle of figuring out this mess. I'm usually not an @$$hole... but do have lots of potential when frustrated)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

I love it when the owner gives you the information you need, and asked for, after you have gone through the grinder!
    Good job!, and people wounder why electrical cost so much to fix!!

Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Re: Electrical Nightmare

Originally posted by prometheus578
      Bike keeps blowing main fuse.<<snip>> he THEN informs me that it only seemed to happen when he was giving his wife a ride.
      Now, that's almost too good to pass up.....
      Ken Talbot

Comment

update:

Not too bad.... he picked up his bike this afternoon.
        Didn't sing about the $245 bill, dropped off a six pack of Corona, and let me keep the cop wiring harnesses and connectors for my projects!
        ...and after I had said all those bad things about him!
        (hangs head in shame)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
        X