battery brain cramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery brain cramp

OK I admit to a mental block when it comes to battery diagnosis.
    My bike has been hardly starting during the past couple weeks. It will make a few feable attempts when I turn the key and won't start till I jump it. No problem with the jump. I did take it to work the other day hoping it would fire at the end of the day and it did. But not the next morning. When connecting up my battery tender charger it will fire in an hour or two. Does this just sound like a new battery is in order? Thanks everyone for thinking for me.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

If the battery is over three years old, or it sat WITHOUT a battery tender for over six months, time for a new battery.
    A quick check would be to connect a VOM across the battery, read the voltage, and then turn on the key, read voltage, and try starting, looking at the voltage. If it drops below 11 volts on ant test, you need a battery. If it does not, start checking all the ground connections.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

same here

i got very similar prbs right now.even bought a new battery charger to tricle up the new batt
      1982 XJ 1100
      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

12.9 volts with nothing on... with the key turned on it immediately starts dropping.... With starter button pushed it goes down to like 3 volts. Took out battery, it's kind of hard to see, but I see no fluid in the case. Shopping for a battery tomorrow, hope fully maintainance free. Need one by Sunday to go watch a motorcycle hill climb event!
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Try westcobattery.com they are XSivly good .

Bruce
          Bruce Gerken
          '79 XS1100SF
          "The Black"
          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
          The Red Sled.
          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

If you're willing to "Sleep with the Enemy", then you can find one at Wally world, around $45-50.

Comment

battery

odyssey pc680mj

www.odysseyfactory.com

the best period.

Comment

oddesy

you can get them for us kf4anm? bet they are a little steep in the pockets?
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

hawker

yes we stock them and i can get them at a reasonable price for any one interested. they are non-spillable so they can be shipped. i run one in my bike and a larger size (pc1200)in my wifes explorer. the pc680mj provides a initial pulse cranking load of 680 cca. it has the power to start a chevy 350 and comes oem with the boss hoss 502 big block v-8. the expected service life is 8-10 years. they also can be deep discharged 80% total capacity over 400 times. they alos come with a 2 year free replacement warranty. i sell them retail for 135$ in the store. will go 119$ plus freight for anyone here. they are new in the box and 100% fresh. i also saw a great price on ebay for those who want to save $$$

Comment

Working...
                  X