paint guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint guns

i am going to paint SWMBO's bike with real paint and need to know , what are some good paint guns and what size paint gun should i get?
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Re: paint guns

Shawn wrote:
    i am going to paint SWMBO's bike with real paint and need to know , what are some good paint guns and what size paint gun should i get?
    A few months ago I asked the same question on the old Yahoo XS11 list and there were a lot of good replies. You might try searching the XS11 archives to find that thread.

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

RE: Paint Guns

A lot of it depends on the amout of money you want to spend.

There are so many that you can buy it's kinda like trying to pick a car.

You can go to your local department store and probably pick up a Campbell Hausfeld for around $30.

But to get in to the better ones, go ta an auto body supply store.

Binks makes two real good guns. The Mach 1 and the 2001. Both can give you a chose of the old convetional cup guns and HVLP (high volume and low pressure. These are great from fine finishes. I am also partial to the gravity feed guns.

You can get one anywhere from $190 to about $300 and they will make sure you have the proper sized needle, nozzel and air cap.

Comment

My ex kawa was painted with airbrush gun from a revell set for painting model cars, planes etc (the cheap one... bout 15$ I guess)... takes more time due to the small amount of paint that can go in there, but it's not a problem. Painted a car door with the same thing and it came out great... The air compressor was from an old fridge... home made.
        I guess u can borrow one too...

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

airbrush

Yeah and the nice thing about an airbrush is that it will atomize the paint very well.

Another good thing would be a touch up gun. They have an 8 ounce container and spray very fine finishes. And really for a motorcycle, you do not need much paint in the gun at one time

Comment

paint gun

if you only plan to paint one tank or parts for one bike and never do it again I wold look int a touch up gun but i would buy try to find one through an automotive paint supply store. they usually carry cheaper brands of guns as " astro" or a store brand. if you use a name brand base clear system you can sand the base coat after it sets awhile to get any imperfections out if you mess up and the clear can be sanded and buffed when cured to get a real nice look. If you are going to do a larger amount of painting (all the bikes in the shed) i would invest in a good gun as a Sata RP digital, sharp platnium, or a binks 2001. a gravity feed gun to me is a little more forgiving and easier to clean i feel. I would look for a 1.3 , 1.4 or 1.5 fluid tip. again if you talk to your paint supplier they many times will have info for you about guns. i shoot ppg automotive paint and they even have a chart for different gun fluid tips to mach the paint and clear you will be spraying. when shooting smaller items i will often opt for a smaller flud tip size as the 1.3.

Comment

Working...
            X