724 members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 724 members

just been and had a look to see how many members have never added to a thread and the total is about 724 thats quit a lot ,a lot more than i thought .

Lurkers

I think they are called lurkers... just waiting on the right opportunity, or scarfing up the free/good technical advice listed here.
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Comment

Lurkers!

I freely admit that I was a "lurker" at one time - maybe I still am. In comparison with many on this list, I know NOTHING about motorcycles. Until recently I had never had one apart. It is intimidating to try to communicate with the experts, until you get to know them a little bit. I know I do a lot more lurking than pontificating - I'm more expert at the former. The only thing worse than not knowing what you are talking about is not knowing what everyone else is aware of - that you don't. And I don't want to be perceived as one who always needs help without ever helping out - so I tend to "lurk." No offense intended!
      Pastor Sam - Son Light Rider CMA
      Former GL1200 rider
      Owned by '80 XS11 G-Guardian Angel
      Yep, I got a @#$%^&
      xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

The "Lurkers" are actually good news. The site is being used, and I hope they are learning how to take care of the bike. If you just read, there is a LOT of information that can be gained from everyone on this site.
        I know I'll be printing out the instructions for the "second gear fix", as my bike no longer likes second gear. I don't know if I'll have time to fix it before the rally, but I will try and make the time.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

none taken

I said that totally tongue in cheek, so please don't be offended. I am totally technically ignorant at this point in time. I am so new to these things that I haven't even ordered the Clymers manual yet. If it weren't for this web site I would be completely in the dark. Nothing wrong with "lurking".

Comment

Hey, I just like the name you used!!
            The good thing is everyone can do what he/she wants, look, write, or ask questions. As one of my best teachers once said;
            "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!"
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah

We must have had the same teacher. Mine said the same thing.

Comment

Lurking . . .

My typical computer day lasts only a short time. I try to get online a couple of times a day, but since I don't have a dedicated line, I can't stay on for long (there are other things in my life, as well). I usually check my email, then spend a few minutes "lurking" on the XSite. I try to keep up with all the current threads that are going on, but I seldom have anything to add to the conversation. On occasion, I will contibute my $.02 - like now! Then I go about my business; maybe check out any new xs's on ebay. If I confront a problem on my bike, I flee to the XSite to find out I am not ALONE - somebody has had this problem, and knows what to do. That makes my day, and makes this XSite worthwhile for me. Thanks to all you guys, from us "lunkers."
                Former GL1200 rider
                Yep, I got a @#$%^&
                xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

It is intimidating to try to communicate with the experts, until you get to know them a little bit.
                  I don't consider myself an Xpert but have been called that many times by many people. I can say that you aint gettin any younger. and niether are these bikes. Not just the XS, but the Kawi's, Honda's, Zuki's. If ya want to keep riding these older machines. Either your going to have to learn how to maintain and fix them or pay someone who does. The younger people that work at the dealerships usually don't want to mess with this older stuff, or do, but lack the knowledge and are to proud to ask for advice because they graduated from a teck school that showed them how to hook a computer to a diognostics monitor and change the part the computer tells them to. Nuff said,,,... Starting to rant over here,,,,.....,,,, Point is, Learn what you can from the people who know, Then teach those who don't, As said before, the only dum question is the one not asked.
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Absolutely Right!

I couldn't agree more. We have lost that perspective from our culture, and I don't see it coming back. In almost every area of life those same rules apply. Learn from those who've gone before; teach the ones who come behind. Now if they'll only be as attentive as I was when I was their age - yeah, right!
                    Former GL1200 rider
                    Yep, I got a @#$%^&
                    xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

Lurkers are good news........

I'm relativly new to the site and only started using it several times a week just recently. I go straight to the new posts to see what is going on. My bike is an 82XJ with only 17k on it. The bike came with dealership paperwork detailing the maintenance performed at 15k, 10k and 5k. I havn't had to do any maintenance yet but I do plan on trying to do most of it myself.

I have posted a few times but have a hard time deciding what to add my $.02 to. I was so blown away by the "Brothers in London" thread that it brought tears to my face. But I couldn't decide what to add.

I use the site as a stress relief after work. It is about the only thing that makes me completly forget for a short time about my hassels at work.

I have also just tonight realized that after reading the thread on American Chopper that I really love my bike and this site. I grew up in SoCal riding almost everyday, both street and dirt and I have really missed it. I just got word of a healthly raise and my wife asked if I wanted a new harley, (rode 'em-hate 'em) I said no, I love my old-school, nasty, in-line four that has more personality than any harley, (name doesn't deserved to be capped) or even any new Yamaha Star Motorcycle. I may however, buy her a Silver Wing so we can ride together sometimes.

Anyhow, now you can see why I don't post much, once I get started I can't stop, kinda like an old school, nasty, in-line four.

Peace
                      82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
                      78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
                      74 Husky 400
                      70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

hey dmac 82,its good after work to come on hear i do the same put i always just put on what i am thinking and always read the new members and new threads,enjoy your bike you can`t beat the old stuff............

Comment

LURKER

I think I'm a lurker too

But I also think there are many lurkers from Europe (Germany, Belgium, Holland or France) which only try to read your threads 'cause they only have their school english (like me) and fears of being punished if they write sentences wrong
                          XS 1100 Eleven Special forever

Comment

Re: LURKER

Originally posted by xsheipa
                            I think I'm a lurker too

But I also think there are many lurkers from Europe (Germany, Belgium, Holland or France) which only try to read your threads 'cause they only have their school english (like me) and fears of being punished if they write sentences wrong
                            Not nearly as bad as my German was when I lived there!!! I went to a gasthaous once and ordered a lot of food because it was so cheap, it wasn't. The German's eating there felt sorry for me and pitched in for the dinner. I'd still be washing dishes paying the owner off!!!

You folks can't mess up the language any worse than we do!!!
                            Don
                            99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

xsheipa - We all have a common language(XS/XJ), and a love for the old-school stuff called XS/XJ. There are too many V2's to nit-pik for us to be worried about someone's language or spelling. XSpress yourself, and we'll figure out what you mean, and go with it That's what we do with each other, as I am sure you are aware from "lurking."

dmac82 - What are your SoCal roots? I went from SoCal to Texas, to WY, then back to CA, and on to Wisconsin in these 59 years. I'm always interested in who's been where I've been.:
                              Former GL1200 rider
                              Yep, I got a @#$%^&
                              xj 1100 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                              X