HELP!! starter button/throttle 1979 XS1100 Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! starter button/throttle 1979 XS1100 Repair

I bought a 1979 XS1100 at a local auction... once I got it home, I realized the starter button was missing! Two wires were sticking out of the opening... a green clipped wire and a black wire with a screw hook on it. I am assuming the owner crossed the two wires to start it, but of course there wasn't a battery in the bike and no kick start. So.... I bought a new one on ebay (or so I thought) and the new one looked the same but when I got it, it had three wires coming out of the throttle switch to the black plastic connection. But the 1979 I was replacing had FOUR wires coming out of the throttle to the WHITE plastic electrical connection. I assumed the one I was sent was a wrong year or make and cut off the button and replaced it in my bike. But now I wonder WHERE DOES THE BLACK EYE HOOK WIRE HOOK UP TO??? I hooked it up to the screw that holds in the button and I assume its a ground wire to prevent shock, but what if it fries the starter button? I haven't hooked up the battery yet for fear of trying to find out if I have done it right. I have contacted two local mechanics and gotten the "... you know I don't know....". So PLEASE help if someone has knowledge if I have done it wrong... the summer is wasting and living in Indiana I only have a few months to ride!!! Thanks.

All you need to do is ground the starter button wire to fire the starter. Seems to me the P.O. rigged up the starter button wire AND a ground wire (the black one) to start the bike. Ditch the black one, the switch housing provides the ground through the handlebars.

Comment

kick starter

4:00 AM is not a good time for me to try to figure electrical probs, but I may be of assistance regarding the kick starter lever. On the right side of the bike, to the rear of the engine, under the airbox, there should be a large wingnut. This holds the kickstart lever in it's storage spot. You may have one and not know it.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I went to "The Source" (Radio shack) and bought a 2 wire temporary on button, they have them small enough to fit in the existing hole and I think I paid around $5 for 2 of them. Hope this helps

Comment

That wire with the eye on the end is just a ground. It won't hurt anything, and the button just grounds it's wire to make the bike start.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X