If you ride a motorcycle you're screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you ride a motorcycle you're screwed

...I was involved in a motorcycle accident the 1st week of May...

I just got a call from my "lawyer" - he told me the guy/car that hit me will NOT be held "responsible"...
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I was in the fast lane, there was a semi truck/trailer in the middle lane, and a car in the slow lane - whick accelerated to pass the truck (on the right)

- the 'truck' then T-boned the car and the car spun into me after the truck started slowing down. According to the "law" the truck actually caused the accident (the story, according to the car driver to the accident investigating cop) and then fled the scene - so, according to the law the truck was the cause of the entire accident, it was NOT the "fault" of the car driver, and now I am out many thou$and$ of dollars, in ambulance ride, hospital stay, physical therapy, damaged bike, cracked helmet, riped up leather jacket/chaps, and lost wages.

My insurance company already closed their case because I only had PL/PD (personal liability/property damage - in-other-words: Bare-Bone ins.), and that was because the bike is 25 yrs old (in this state it would be *extrememly* expensive to get full coverage on an old bike)

so, now, I have a LOT of debt, am not healed 100%, and the guy that (actually) hit me doesn't even get repremanded by the DMV !

Our "judicial system" is THE biggest joke on the planet IMO:

Our "law" should read: "Innocent until proven quilty - unless YOU are the victim"

1980 XS1100SG

Time for a "Civil Suit" in small claims court.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ron, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know what you have been through. Were there any witnesses that can idedify the truck?
      I am now at least able to stay out of bed for longer than 20 minutes. You wanna hear something really scary? My hospital bill was over $140,000. The doctor charged over $36,000 to do the surgury to my back. My insurance company negotiated the hospital bill down to around $70k. If I hadn't had insurance, I would have been liable for the entire amount! Thankfully with my insurance, I only have to pay $1000 out of pocket for each bill. Whew!

Comment

Maybe I've led a sheltered life or live in a bubble. $36,000 for an operation? What's the breakdown? I mean... how much per hour?
        Hell... I could have done it a lot cheaper than that! The spine's just a bunch o' wires in a wiring harness with some throttle cables attached. A couple o' new thrust washers and a circlip or two...
        Bah! The only difference between a doctor and a mechanic is that I have to wash my hands BEFORE going to the bathroom.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hey guys, you REALLY need to have unisured motorist on your policy.

Maine requires it in addition to basic liability and property damage.

Most of the time basic pl and pd that are required by law only protect other people from you, does nothing for you. Talk to a good insurance agent and get the recommended coverages, it costs a little more, but if you need it, you NEED it.

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Hey Prom,

Those comments remind me of that old joke about the heart doctor that had his bike at the shop, and the mechanic was comparing his work to the doctors. The engine is like the heart, and he takes the heads off to work on valves, just like the Dr. The fuel and oil lines were like the arteries and veins. And so the mechanic was asking why the Dr. got paid so much more for essentially the same kind of work!?

The Doctor says, "Try doing all that with the MOTOR RUNNING!"

John, glad to hear your mending, albeit slowly, keep at it !!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Sorry to hear of your accident Ron. Nice name by the way.

Yeah, PL/PD protects the world from you, does nothing for you though.

Here in Canada (Ontario at least), the "accident benefits" part of the insurance policy is what covers things like physio, personal care at home, things of that nature for the insured, and is responsible for most of the premium. I don't recall the exact figures but my yearly insurance for the '81 wing is let's say $1000 (give or take a couple hundred) and the accident benefits portion of that premium is very high... maybe 80 - 90%. Glad I had it when I wrecked the XS though. That was a close one.

Hope you have a fast recovery and not too many bills.

Comment

Working...
              X