Do you wear your gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always

I have Joe Rocket blaster 3.0 jacket, phoenix gloves (a couple seasons or more on them so far) and Alpinestar boots and I don't ride without them (and my helmet of course). A while back it was 100+ in Denver and I kept all my gear on for the commute back to Colorado Springs. Took the back road instead of the freeway so that I could keep moving. If it's too hot for my gear I don't ride.

back in 98-99 when I first started riding I took my bike out (xs850) to go around the block a few times. I hadn't taken the MSF basic course yet but NEEDED to ride (y'all know what I mean). The helmet came with the bike and was way too big for me. After a few times around the block I was feeling confident. Came to a full stop, went to take of, bike stutters, dies, and it and I go over (was in a lean to turn). The helmet goes rolling off (I told you it was too big right?), gas is dribbling out of the tank. I pick myself up, some how manage to pick up the bike. Thank the lord that my neighbor was still videotaping his house and not my fall. Took me 10 minutes to kick that thing back to life and limp it back to it's parking space to wait for me to complete the MSF course. Haven't been without proper gear since then and every time I think about riding with a open face helmet or no helmet a june bug(or equivilent for the season) hits me right in the face shield and the thought goes away mighty quick.

Clark

Comment

Re: Scab City

Originally posted by prometheus578
      I'm sold on my full-face helmet.
      That is absolutely the way I feel about it.
      Ever been riding along, and have something go "CRACK!" off of the front of your helmet? (june bugs, rocks, birds, small children......) Makes you glad you decided to wear it I can tell you.

I wouldn't even THINK about bouncing my face off the ground without one.
      1979 xs1100sf
      1972 cb500 four

Comment

I sent 2 of my boys to MSF just before they got thier car liscencese. First one came home saying they could answer all the questions that he had been asking me for the last 10 years. The other boy took it 2 times just cause he thought he missed something. They have seen the old man down and wrecked pretty good a number of times. Now i tell any kid who even looks at a bike they need to get signed up for MSF first and get them the info and sign up papers, this is a service we can all do. And give them the advice of years of riding, **** ive pulled people over for wearing sneakers and seen them go buy boots. Im not always geared up and most of the time will not wear a helmet, but boots leather and heavy pants, cant see being without them.

Comment

I'm going to debate you on this one. I will ride in shorts every now and then, but I won't leave he driveway with out the lid. Most of the harley riders I work with give a ration of s#!t because of it, but they won't wear a lid. It's their choice, and the freedom crap. etc. The way I see it, skin will grow back, and I can live without a leg, but you bounce that melon off the pavement at most any speed and you are a veg for life. You ain't gonna live without a head, and it don't grow back.

Comment

Let me start off by saying I don't believe in helmet laws. California has had one in recent years for motorcyclists but it is illegal in this state to wear a helmet while driving a car or truck. Ironically many more cage drivers die from head injuries than motorcyclists. That said, I have nearly always worn a helmet even before it was required.

I started riding in 1958. Back then no one wore helmets except racers and cops. Cops had then only recently begun wearing helmets. It seemed the smart thing to do so I bought a helmet right away, one of those cheesy little "puddin' bowl" types with no padding inside and a leather suspension web to keep your head away from the fiberglass. I took all manner of ribbing for it, they called me "boy racer", egghead and a bunch of other uncomplimentary names. One day I was coming around a corner on my WLA Harley throwing up sparks with the right footboard and suddenly there was a water puddle in my path. In those days tires pretty much didn't work in the wet and down I went. To this day I can remember the loud "thwack" as the side of the helmet hit the pavement. If I hadn't had that helmet on I'd have been seriously injured or killed. As it was I was OK except I lost most of the skin off my right palm and sprained my right ankle pretty badly; I had some road rash raspberries and a bit of gravel embedded in my skin, not serious but painful injuries. I had no gloves, jacket or boots...in fact I was wearing penny loafers. This taught me several things...wear a helmet, boots, gloves and jacket and don't charge blind corners. I've been down a bunch of times over the years and fortunately never ever hit my head again and thanks to reasonbly good gear have never been seriously hurt. My rule has always been, "Don't hit anything and don't get hit either!" As long as these two conditions are met one may be painfully hurt but one won't be seriously hurt, assuming of course that one is dressed to ride.

The only time I ride these days without full leathers is if it's so damned hot that it'd be more dangerous with 'em than without 'em which means above 100 degrees. Unless it's in the 90s I wear jeans under my leathers, real shrink-to-fit denim, not those pre-faded worn-out-when-you-buy-them kind. I understand the convenience of chaps but I only wear leather pants, not chaps. Nearly every time I've gone down (always low side, at least on pavement, knock on wood) I've landed on my butt and chaps certainly won't protect you there. I learned from my first pavement get off at 16 not to put my hands out to break my fall, in fact I've always since crossed my arms across my chest with my hands under my armpits. I've made my living as a guitar player and I don't want my hands injured if I can help it. The highest speed I've ever fallen was at 60 mph and I was entirely uninjured other than some very minor burns from hot leather and a couple of bruises from impact with the pavement. My leathers were trash though, a small price to pay! Diver Ray, Uncle Spot and LoHo can attest that when we all showed up in Los Baños last August 13th Ducati Tim and I were the only ones in full leather clothing though Ray was wearing some serious textile riding gear with armor as I recall.

I find it absolutely amazing the number of riders (mostly Harley people) I saw this summer riding in shorts, tank tops and deck shoes or worse, flip-flops! And why do most Harley riders insist on wearing those silly little plastic beanies and fingerless gloves with holes over the knuckles? Maybe they think they're too cool to ever crash. A couple of months back I was in the process of posting on another forum about this very subject when I heard an unbaffled Harley coming up my street. I looked out the window to see a rider in a beany, no shirt, shorts and BARE FEET! He did have some nice tattoos however.

One thing I find puzzling is the way the California Highway Patrol motor officers wear jackboots and helmets but only khaki twill clothing or if it's chilly a nylon jacket. No wonder these guys are almost always hurt pretty badly if they crash. Any motor officers out there who'd like to comment on this? I notice that most San Francisco Police favor horsehide or goatskin jackets which offer some real protection. When I was in Europe back in the late '70s I saw that the Belgian motor cops (Harley mounted!) wore black leather jackets, black leather jodphur breetches, jackboots, gloves, helmets and white Sam Browne belts. Additionally (in the further interests of personal safety I'm sure) they were armed with Browning Highpower pistols and Uzis. I had occasion to ask a couple of these guys for directions and despite the scary head-to-toe black leather Nazi outfits I found them very friendly and helpful. Terrorists beware however!
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I only believe in helmet laws to a certian extent. Young/inexperienced riders should be made to wear one, but after proving their skills should they be allowed to ride topless. I live in Texas where some time ago they repealed the law, IF you could prove that you were over 21 (I think) and you had personal health insurance to pay for your ass when it crashes. I'm apparently not as old as you are, but I have been riding since 78 when I bought my training wheels (a TX750) in San Diego. I have been down a few times since then, most recently in June when I T-Boned a pick up at 35-40 mph and suffered a broken back. After having five vertabrea fused together, I'm finally able to ride again with the Dr's permission. Here in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area, I've discovered that most drivers are pretty stupid, or drunk, especially those on the *#$% phone, and don't seem to look for, or see a bike. I have to assume that I am invisible, and to ride where I feel safest. It would almost seem that no matter how safe I try to be, there is always some one out to get me. I also feel that the size of one's bike should be proportional to their age. Under 18, under 450 cc's. Under 21, then under 650. I know that most 650's will blow our xs11's away, but these kids do not need to be on an R1, gsxr 1100, zx9, or a 'Busa. They just are not mature enough for that much bike. That's like putting a 17 year old kid in a Hemi 'Cuda. Bad chemistry. I guess what I'm saying that we are all entitled to wear what we feel is adequate for the situation, and in my situation, I would probably be safest in a suit of armor, or just staying at home, but that ain't gonna happen. I'll just wear my lid, and try to stay out of everybody's way.

Comment

I do remember one night (early 80's) when I lived in Arizona riding nekkid. A girlfriend met me on a (relatively) deserted road outside the city. We left our clothes in her car and took-off on my Honda Hawk. As fun as that sounds, the bugs HURT!!!!!! We passed 2 cars that were going the other way. I wonder what they thought?
                Even earlier than that a different girlfriend (this was Highschool, 70's) and I stripped and rode around town in my pick-up. We left our clothes at the house so I was praying for no flat tires, break-downs, or tickets.

Ahhhh, to be young again.
                "I used to go skinny-dipping. Now I just swim nekkid"
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Organ Doners

My Best Friend asked me a couple of questions when I got Arlington:
                  1. Q. Did you know that smarter people spend many thounds of dollars to purchase the acceration and perfomance in a car to do what you can do on that bike?
                  A. (me) Yes.
                  2. Q. What do you call someone who doesn't wear their gear?
                  A. (him) An Organ doner.

RLMcD
                  XJ1100J Maxim (Arlington)
                  Ruby Red
                  XS1100E (no name yet)
                  Macho Maroon

Comment

John, how'd you T-bone a pickup? Let me guess, the jerk pulled out in front of you. My personal feeling is that it's entirely too easy to get a driving license. That's why there are all these idiot cage drivers out there, at least 60% of 'em should have their tickets pulled or at least have mandatory retraining. At least the people who ride motorcycles either get good or die. Darwin was right!
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

And here in CA they want to issue DL's to illegal immigrants
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

when I lived in CA

I was waiting in line for my M/C test and a guy was going down this long line of immigrants correcting their answers so they would pass. The security guard walked up and told him he couldn't do that and walked away. He continued down the line correcting the rest of them.

Same trip to the DMV I watched a 80+ yr old woman confined to a wheelchair, on oxygen, who couldn't hear the questions being asked her by the DMV rep fail her vision test and refuse to leave until she got her license renewed...and they eventually gave it to her.

I'm glad I don't live in California anymore...

Clark

Comment

Last time I renewed in 2003 they made me take the written and eye tests, now I'm good till 2008. I passed the eye test last time without my glasses (I squinted) but I wear them anyway when driving/riding. While I was there I saw a man who was 98 doing the same thing and when he saw his license was renewed until 2008 he remarked, "Wonderful, I'm good for life!"
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

Comment

xs650 mike

Here is a link to the post I made regarding my accident...kinda stooooopid really.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=accident
                            I didn't know you were in the Nav. I was on the Kitty Hawk CV63. I made Westpac 77-78 and 79-80 (Iran hostage crisis) I was an ASM3 at the time of the 79-80 cruise.
                            Last edited by John; 09-28-2005, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Well John, I guess we all have our lapses. I did a dumb one the other day, though not as disastrous as yours. For some reason or other I failed to park the bike in neutral as usual. I compounded this by not straddling the bike and lifting it off the side stand as usual either. I just threw a leg over, thumbed the start button and the bike just rolled off the stand. I did one smart thing though, I didn't hurt myself trying to catch it, I just let it fall. A couple of bystanders came to my aid. No real harm done, just a bruised ego. I've now got a new rule, I check for the neutral light and pull the clutch in before I hit the button. Most of the time I actually kickstart the bike, I dropped my old Matchless once this way because it was in gear when I kicked it. It had a stand that automatically retracted when you lifted the bike off it.
                              Shiny side up,
                              650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X