• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Targetman,

My dad used this saying often,

There are old bikers, and there are bold bikers,
    but there are no old bold bikers.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I'm not so sure I've seen plenty of old, bald bikers. Hell, I'll be one myself someday soon

Comment

Couple comments. Like a few others, I have gear, but don't always wear all of it, basics are helmet, boots, leather jacket, gloves. Have a full armored suit that I wear on longer trips.

Full gear does not have to be that hot. In fact, if it is really hot full gear is more comfortable than jeans and a T...you can control suit venting to some degree and the hot air doesn't contact your skin directly. I've worn my armored Tourmaster suit in 110 deg F Arizona summers and been more comfortable than in 80 deg F temps with just the leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. Venting is the key, and several lines, including Joe Rocket, offer summer gear. My summer gloves are woven with Kevlar thread, are very cool, very abrasion resistant, and keep the backs of my hands from getting sun-burned.

A long time ago I saw statictics on MC accidents, and the greatest number were riders with less than 1 year of riding experience. I suspect this is still the case. BTW, greatest frequency of injuries is to lower legs and feet.

I have had one serious accident, in my first year of riding, when a large dump truck ran a stop and I literally ran into his side. For years I kept the helmet, which had a large black tire mark on it where my head it a real dual. Bike was twisted backward and sideways, a total wreck. I had a burn on left arm from an exhaust pipe (no jacket then, just a shirt) and a sprained ankle, lost a week of work. (Had heavy lace up boots on.) Have worn a helmet ever since, and insist any passengers also have a lid. Matter of personal opinion, but with all their drawbacks, helmet, boots, leather jacket, and gloves are a bare minimum of protective gear for me.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I've had two off's this year.

The first one I was wearing slacks, penny loafers, tectile coat, gloves and a full face helmet. I was fine except the lack of skin on my leg and ankle.

The second one I was wearing tectile coat and pants, boots, gloves and a full face helmet. I didn't have a scratch even though I was going twice as fast as the first time.

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks. I won't ride without full protection again.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Here in Rockford this weekend we had a fatality that is just a waist. A fellow biker was stopped behind a car turning left, got in a hurry and tried to pass on the right just as an oncoming car turned left in front of him. He laid the bike down and missed everybody. No helmet, his head hit the street. He latter died in the hospital.

As is normally the case the death was caused by a number of factors, many that we can't control but that we always MUST BE PREPAIRED for them.
            It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
            81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
            82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
            82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I'm about to buy some new stuff, has the textile jackets and pants reached the protective standard that we have come to expect from leather? Are they lighter, more comfortable? I'm talking about events occuring around 80mph max, not 180.
              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
              Norton Electra - future restore
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

In a word, yes. That is most textile jackets. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. That is the Tex-Mesh jacket. It is nice and cool while riding and I love it. I dont even think twice about putting it on before a ride no matter how hot it is.

As I understand it, these jackets are like helmets, made to protect you for one accident and then tossed. I have talked to several ppl who had their tex-mesh jackets on during a wreck. Most say that the jacket saved them for sure, but the jacket itself was toast. So just like a helmet, you would have to buy new after every accident. Of course, hopefully none of us have too many of those.

Another good thing, textile is usually cheaper than leather, and after a dance with some pavement at 40 - 80 mph, your gonna have to toss the leather too.

I hope to get the Joe Rocket tex-mesh pants soon. As soon as I have the money.

Ride Safe
                Last edited by Wayne; 07-13-2005, 07:16 AM.
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I have the Phoenix jacket and pants.
                  My only critisizm of the pants is the hip area. They are padded but not armored.
                  I've read that the Phoenix gloves are junk and disintigrate on impact. After a year mine are comming apart so I am inclined to agree.
                  I wear mine year-round. In winter I slip an XStra-large windbreaker over the jacket. This creates a 1-2" air gap around my torso that is plenty of insulation even when the temp is in the 30's (being behind the huge Pacifico fairing with lowers helps too).
                  Footwear for me (99% of the time) is usually HiTec Magnum leather/nylon waterproof boots.
                  On occasion I do ride unprotected and I'm uncomfortable (safetywise) doing so.
                  I always wear a full-face helmet.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Good Posts..

I wear full leathers that zip together at the waist..Joe Rocket is the brand and wear boots that are full racing with ankle protection that are ex-ternal. The wierd thing to me is that I take more..abuse or teasing etc. from fellow riders more so than non riders.. I also wear full face helmet and gloves.
                    Just a few tips..
                    1. Dress for the crash...not the ride!!!
                    2. Always ride with-in-{your} limits not others!!!
                    3.Be sure you are PRAYED UP..never know if it your last ride.
                    4. Always do a pre- flight-ride check..tire pressure etc..

I usually ride with an ice pack in my leather jacket and at stops just put the pack and my helmet in the ice cooler outside for added cooling..I always keep my vents open ..FWIW

Shack
                    PS. I bought most of my gear used..still not cheap but much less than a hosp bill..
                    Shack
                    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
                    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
                    Oct 02
                    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
                    3176 miles

Comment

Targetman,
                      I agree that riders taking the ERC are safer in general. My other thought is that this course hits on skills that are associate with 2 biggest sources of accidents. another vehicle in the 11 to 2 oclock postion entering your space, and failing to negotiate a turn. The ERC works on evasive skills and countersteer technique. At 25$ per 8 hr course I plan to repeat every year or two, just to make sure I am not getting lazy. Plus you meet new biker friends!!
                      I need to check but several organizations and companies were reimbursing the course, i think the manufacturers were and some groups like HOG.

I have to confess for short rides in town I sometimes leave the leather at home and ride in the bright orange jacket that says Beer delivery guy on it. My theory is that this makes me more eye catching at the intersections.
                      I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

25$ for an 8 hour course!!???

Here in Ontario canada, I think the test you take to get your licence lasts two days, (weekend), and costs 400$. -ouch.
                        But they do supply the bike, you have to show up with your helmet, heavy jacket, gloves, and boots that cover the ankle. (jeans I guess too).

With our insurance out of control as it is, anything you can do to reduce your premium is worth it for a new driver.
                        Lots of people taking the course these days I hear.
                        1979 xs1100sf
                        1972 cb500 four

Comment

GOOD TO KNOW

I for one am glad to see how much we as group think a like.

XSivly
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Gerken
                          '79 XS1100SF
                          "The Black"
                          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                          The Red Sled.
                          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

The textile suits are very good. Cheaper and easier to take care of than leathers, also more versitile. The Tourmaster gear has a snap-in liner for colder riding conditions, jacket is well vented for hot conditions, armor at knees, elbows, shoulders, back is removeable for suit cleaning. My set is now about 4 years old, drawback is that pants and jacket do not snap or link together (newer gear does) which is nice. Also the pants could use some venting, as I have to leave the top leg zipper (double zippers on each leg) down a few inches to get some air circulation up the legs. Both jacket and pants have quite a few pockets which comes in handy.

TourMaster's web page is:
                            Tourmaster

My gear would now be called the Men's Advanced Sport.

As for protection...Have heard and seen the results of textile gear in crashes, and would agree that you treat these suits as disposable. They are effective in preventing or reducing the severity of injuries. I paid $260 (eBay) for my jacket and pants, about the same price as an upscale helmet.

Joe Rocket and Aerostich are other excellent brand names offering textile suits. Web pages are:

Aerostich

Joe Rocket
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I use Firstgear Jacket and pants. I like the fit and padding. I bought the "summer" pants, so they are made from an "open weave" that allows airflow. They do have a zip out "water proof" liner that works well for winter. I can wear shorts in the summer to be cool, but have the protection of the knee and hip pads. The jacket is a little warm in the summer, but I can put up with that. As I read on another forum, "I'd rather sweat than bleed".
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Scab City

Saturday, had a guy bring in his Vulcan for me to do a crash estimate on. Judging by the full length scab that was the right side of his face, I don't think he'll be shaving anytime soon.
                                It may get hot... and maybe it doesn't allow the "Susies" to see my gorgeous kisser as I ride by... but I'm sold on my full-face helmet. (Need to drill a hole in the front so I can smoke, but that's just a thought)
                                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                                X