1979 Xs Eleven F Rear Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Xs Eleven F Rear Tires

HI GUYS,YES I'M A NEWBIE.I HAVE A 1979 XS ELEVEN F IN MINT CONDT.I LOVE IT.THE REAR TIRE CALLS FOR A 120/90-17. HARD TO GET IN WHAT I WANT IN A SPORT/TOURING TIRE.WILL A 130/90-17 FIT WITHOUT HITTING THE DRIVESHAFT HOUSING ? PLEASE ADVISE

Mine has a 130/90 17 on, and it fits... dunno why it should be 120...

I have 78... standards were the same... so I think it should fit OK.

Do u use tubes in there? Everything tells me I should use tubes, but I didn't find any writing on the rim...

I'll use tubes, just in case.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

THANK YOU STROM,WOW THAT WAS FAST. THE ORIG.TIRE IS A CONTI. WITH A 4.50 WHICH COVERTS TO A 120/9017.BUT THE 130/90-17 IS A 5.30 WIDTH.AND LOOKING AT THE ORIG.SET UP THERE IS ONLY AABOUT 1/4" CLEARENCE ON SHAFT SIDE AND ABOUT 2"ON R/S. NOTE:FOR YOU,TUBES ARE ONBLY TO BE USED WITH SPOKE WHEELS. ALUM.ALLOY WHEELS ARE FOR TUBLESS TIRES AND BIAS PLY,NOT RADIALS. THANKS AGAIN !!!

Comment

PLEASE STOP SHOUTING! turn caps lock off, please.

The 78E and a lot of 79F's came with alum. alloy wheels that were not designed for tubeless tires. The 79SF and all later models did indeed have Tubeless stamped on the wheel, and they work, though they are rather primitive tubeless rims compared to what was available not much later.

You are correct about bias ply only (no radials).
        Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hart
          [B The 79SF and all later models did indeed have Tubeless stamped on the wheel, and they work, though they are rather primitive tubeless rims compared to what was available not much later.

[/B]
          Primitive how? Were the XJ rims any better?
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

No, the XJ rims are equally primitive.

Can I change that word? How about 'early in development'? Later bikes had much better bead areas.

Comment

You are correct about bias ply only (no radials).

OK, I'm just a guy from europe, but try to explain in simple words... why not radials and what is bias ply...

BTW: My rear rim has rim locks... front doesn't... no markings anywhere.
              I doubt there are tubes in there now, but the bike sat for 6 years and they werent deflated... OK, the pressure wasn't perfect, but it was OK...

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom
                OK, I'm just a guy from europe, but try to explain in simple words... why not radials and what is bias ply...
                The wheels are different; radial tires have totally different behavior from bias ply tires, and when radials came on the market, mc geometries changed quite a bit.

Here's one place with info. If you reallyl want to dig in, www.google.com will get you more than you ever wanted to know

Comment

"......AND LOOKING AT THE ORIG.SET UP THERE IS ONLY AABOUT 1/4" CLEARENCE ON SHAFT SIDE ....." .

>>>>>>Above, part of earlier posting by "RADDADXS11" .

ON THE SHAFT SIDE, regarding clearance : >> if the mounted, new tire, with air pressure, ain't touching the drive shaft
                  (housing); you have adequate clearance .
                  JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                  7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Working...
                  X