Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Quirk on PartsnMore?

Hey there Folks,

Have been doing some price comparing lately whilst shopping for future parts for Basket Case/Teacher, and came across an interesting phenomena. On PartsnMore, when I go to the Main Parts sections, like CLUTCH plates, and check the fitting and price, they quote $8.00 a disc for the XS1100, but when I go to the Brand Specific (Yamaha) section, select XS11 and then Engine, they have a link(without a picture) of clutch plates, same Model # as the other Clutch section, but a price of only $4.00 ea!?

I didn't find this out until AFTER I sent them a message about how they didn't have any pictures for several items in that section, and so IF they get around to checking into it, they might find and figure out that they have the wrong price quoted, and change it, but you can click on put in Basket, and select quantity and it totals up at the lower-1/2 price!?!?

So....I'm going to go ahead and place an order for 8 plates and see if they send them to me for 1/2 price since I'll be inside the engine anyways, figured I might as well replace the plates and springs while I'm in there!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Very interesting, TC! With that 'cat out of the bag', I wonder how long it will take PnM to figure out why there's a run on clutch plates for the XS?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Well, this cat's eaten the birdy! I ordered mine last night, and it came up with the total of $32.00 for 8 plates! Added some exhaust gaskets to put it over $35.00. They are still shipping free with $30.00 orders, but will be raising it to $35.00 in JUNE, MikesXS is already gone up to $35.00 per order!
      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Order Email confirmation:
        Thank you for your order.

Order Number : 5030
        Placed : 05/20/2005 22:11:24 PDT

Ship To: Bill To:
        T. Curtis Gresham T. Curtis Gresham
        topcatgr(at)cox.net topcatgr(at)cox.net

Portsmouth VA 23703-5348 Portsmouth VA 23703-5348
        US US

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        17-3810C EXHAUST GASKETS XS1100 - 4 PACK 1 $4.00 $4.00
        39-1133 CLUTCH PLATE (39-1133) 8 $4.00 $32.00
        Shipping: Free shipping to the US: $0.00
        Sales Tax: $0.00
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Total: $36.00
        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Well,

Just wanted to let you know my "Discounted" clutch plates arrived today from PartsnMore, with no additional charges added to the invoice....so essentially got them for 1/2 price! Wonder how long it will last. Get them while they're hot!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hi TC
            When it comes time to work on a clutch, do 8 plates do the trick?
            I'm assuming that a rebuild is basically about as good as getting something new and that finding a good used xs clutch on ebay is no different than fixing up what we already have. Sound right? Mine's fine but I'm just thinking in the future, maybe to have parts on hand ready to go. Anything else needed for a rebuild, springs etc. As with about everything else on my bike, I've never done clutch work.
            Basket case video is a great idea. Hope you enjoy doing it and all the work involved. THANKS.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Dean,

The fiber plates in the clutch assembly are what wear out the most, they start out with a thickness of about 3.0mm, (.12in), and when then wear down to 2.8mm(.11in), they are considered to thin and need to be replaced....So....getting a set of used plates is a Forrest Gump choice....you never know what you're gonna get! Best to get new friction plates, and replace ALL 8 of them!

The other thing is the springs, they get sprung after being under compression for so long, and will loose there pressure, and they're not that expensive, so again while you're in there, go ahead and replace them as well, either with heavy duty or OEM!

The steel rarely need replacing, usually just de-varnishing, checking for any burrs on the rectangular tabs where they fit into the grooves/slots of the basket. And, then just be Vwery, Vwery careful when reassembling...the Star Plate is easy to fracture, along with the Pressure Plate posts...apparently from Maximan's recent fiasco converted into a bucket of roses!!
              And, yes, I'm having fun doing this How to DVD, but there are a lot of systems to repair, do regrettably I can't get it done that quickly....plus I have to have SOME time to ride!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
              X