My XJ is ready!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My XJ is ready!

I finally got the exhaust painted and the seat cover came in yesterday. I thought I run it down the road and back before syncing the carbs. I had it sitting in the doorway to the shop, warming it up when I noticed gas dripping (running) from at least 2 carbs. Now I’ve had this bike started a half a dozen times over the past few weeks, and since finding a float rubbing the float bowel, causing that carb to overflow, I have had no problem of the carbs flooding, until yesterday. Tapping on the carbs would not stop it. Oh well! Pull them off again.

I put them on the test jig I built, hooked up the fuel lines, turned on the valve coming out of the coffee/fuel can, AND NOT A ONE OF THEM SUCKERS WOULD OVERFLOW!!!!! I drained the fuel out 7 or 8 times and the needle valves worked perfectly! I was so mad I waited until this afternoon to put the carbs back on the bike. Turned the fuel on and no overflowing. Started it up and had it idling about 1000 rpm but it sounded a little rough. I felt the pipes and # 1 was cold. The other three were hot so I opened the idle jet up until the idle came up and it smoothed out. And my left index finger has proof that # 1’s exhaust pipe was hot.

I decided to ride it up the road and back and see if it felt the carbs were close in adjustment. Well, I’m going to sync them because I built a sync gauge and I want to see if it works, but this XJ runs great with no flat spots from an idle to red line!

I had it pop out of 2nd one time under hard acceleration, but in all honesty, I don’t think I had it in 2nd all the way. I couldn’t make it do it again.

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Sharp bike. When you go to sync up those carbs, Ya might want to think about deactivateing the equalizer tube for the manifolds or you'll get some bogus readings.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I've already got the tool made for the YICS.

Louis
      "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
      brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
      '82 XJ1100J
      LED Dir and running lights
      LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
      Modulated H/L
      PIAA Driving lights
      YICS Eliminated
      750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Working...
      X