'just picked up my XS from impound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'just picked up my XS from impound...

A friend called, told me he had a trailer hooked to his Explorer and he was coming over to 'kidnap' me and "gonna get the bike"...

I had horrible visions of seriously "twisted metal", the paramedic that put me in the ambulance said "there are pieces of motorcycle ALL over the place" - I never got to see it....

When the bike was ROLLED OUT:
    the fairing was crushed on the right side
    the windshield was sheared off
    the rear turn signal was broken off
    the rt case guard was pushed back into the case guard
    the rt case cover was scratched beyond 'buffing out'
    the brake lever was broken off
    both rt side footpegs are torn up
    the footpeg mount is busted in two
    both mufflers are seriously "structurally modified"

...but I *HAD* to know...
    ¿WILL IT START?
    'set the choke, 'turned the key on, 'hit the starter button
    it STARTED!!!! ...smoked a little, but it runs as well as it did before!!!

..my wife just said "too bad YOU'RE not able to ride it"
    she's right; I can barely walk, and my right arm feels like RoboCop ripped it off and stuck it back on with bondo....

...so, a lawyer is stopping by tomorrow, the insurance people want to come look at the bike and talk with me the end of the week, and the weather is getting warmer, and it is suppose to stop raining... I WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE!

...besides the bike parts, my leathers are ripped up, helmet's got some serious dents and scrapes, boots are scuffed through the color, and the gloves are shot...

...but I'm still "breathing air", 'still want to get on THE

1980 XS1100SG

I guess I'm typing too slow... I got cut off on my 'edit':

...but I'm still "breathing air", 'still want to get on THE best bike I've ever ridden, and 'guess I'll break out the video camera for a 'rebuild' video....

I want to thank everyone here that posted, sent me well-wishes, and is as fanatical about the XS as I am getting.

...and Pat - you're right, it wasn't my time (yet), and I've been praying a LOT last night and today. Grace and Mercy have new meaning for me now.

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Crash

You'''''re or maybe everybody else is right!! Not your time.... Everyone that rides at work said your angel is tired today after last night.... By the grace of God and the xs11angel You're still here with us..
      There is another bike for you,,,,may a 1100 smile and catch your eye....We're all with ya Ron!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You ought to keep wearing the riding gear as a 'Badge of Honor'.
        If you get to keep the bike, I'm willing to donate the rear footpeg/ muffler bracket, and a rear brake lever to the cause, That's all that I have that you need. I'm sure some of the other members will come through with some other pieces. Good luck with the legalities.

Comment

Send me your mailing address I will send you a right side driver footpeg. Glad to here you are OK. E-mail to Andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

Glad your ok, I've got a set of case guards if you need them. I know they fit 78-79 should fit yours also. Send me your addy if you need them.
            There's always a way, figure it out.
            78XS11E

Comment

stick a big lawsuit up the cager's insurance company!

Comment

Need and address and You'll have a rear brake lever.
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm humbled...
                  'gonna wait 'till the insurance people have a chance to take some photos before busted parts come off my beloved XS...
                  'can't afford to get too much w/o ins. money so the parts would definitely be more than welcome - AND appreciated.
                  I guess the best address would be my shop:
                  Uncle Spot
                  1136 N. Carpenter Rd. STE. 3
                  Modesto, CA 95351

...again-THANKS
                  XSively humbled,
                  Ron

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Very glad to hear your still among us. It WASN'T YOUR TIME. Yes, there is another XS out there for you somewhere. Also glad you had your helmet.
                    One of the most convincing displays for helmet use is a used one.
                    But also Please remember that a helmet is a "one use" item.

I'll keep you and yours in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
                    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
                    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
                    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
                    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Wow, Sound like you definitley had luck and God on your side with this one. Glad your Ok.
                      79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                      07 V-star 1100
                      Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Sound like the bike actually fared pretty well. Examine the frame and such REALLY closely though...

Sorry you're sore . . . but you know you're alive, yes? Hope you feel better soon!

John said:
                        You ought to keep wearing the riding gear as a 'Badge of Honor'.
                        Funny you should say that. About a decade ago I got hit by a truck tire that blew off the truck I was near. It shredded my leather jacket . . . tearing a half a dozen rips in the sleeve and scraping nearly half-way through in the chest, shoulder, and part of the back.

I sold that jacket for $450 to a *cough* new Harley rider for him to wear about and show off his battle-scars.

I had bought it for $125, and my new jacket was $175 (identical to the one I sold, except new).

LOL!
                        CUAgain,
                        Daniel Meyer
                        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

'gonna wait 'till the insurance people have a chance to take some photos before busted parts come off my beloved XS...
                          You should be able to put her back together. Let us know if you are going to. I've got a few more parts that you may be able to use. I would send them all in one box. I would consider this a donation to the cause for keeping another XS off the strip down/part out list.
                          Just let us know when and if you decide to put her back together.
                          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                          1-big XS patch
                          1-small XS/XJ patch
                          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Got a few parts too...

Hey Uncle Spot,

Glad to hear you are OK.

If you do decide to bebuild, I have some '80 Special items I'd be willing to give to the cause. I have an 85mph speedo, horns and horn bar and both driver pegs.

Just put a shopping list on the thread and we will help you out, brother.

I have to say that I have never met a finer bunch of people than this XS11 family.

greg
                            Gone but never Forgotten:
                            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                            2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                            2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

'movin' around a little bit better, insurance photographer came out and took some 'fotos' - so 'decided to start "peeling" some of the 'structurally modified' parts off...

So far the parts destoryed are:
                              the fairing was crushed on the right side
                              the windshield was sheared off
                              ('got a smaller windshield that I used last summer and that one's going back on)

the rear turn signal was broken off
                              ('need a right side rear - ¿is there a difference b/w Rt. and Lt.?)

the rt case guard was pushed back into the case guard
                              (definitely need another - these things *work*)

the rt case cover was scratched beyond 'buffing out'
                              (it just looks bad - it wouldn't hurt how the bike runs, but it will need to be replaced)

the brake lever was broken off
                              (I should've put FRONT brake lever - 'got one coming off eBay)

both rt side footpegs are torn up
                              ('got the front one from Andreashweiss - THANKS Man! 'preciate it!)

the footpeg mount is busted in two
                              ('just realized this is also a read motor mount)

both mufflers are seriously "structurally modified" (got the 4-into-2, but the mufflers are actually FX-style Harley mufflers. The diameter is too big to fit snuggly on the header pipe and it leaked as long as it was on the bike. My question would be: does MAC sell *just* the mufflers - without the headers? ...has anyone used something else??)

THIS '80 XS SG will NOT get parted out - it's got way too much spirit and life to disrespect it like that. ...AND I wanna go riding this summer

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X