Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't talk my brother into an XS (Magna on the brain)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't talk my brother into an XS (Magna on the brain)

Hey guys,

This might not be exactly the right place to post this, but I figured it was better here than the "Other motorcycles" topic since I'm just fact-finding and don't actually own a Magna.

My brother has his mind made up that he doesn't want an XS. He's pretty set on getting a Honda VF750 (Or Magna to some of us) He's looking primarily at '95 and '96 models. Does anyone have any experience with these?

He's not a wrencher and I don't want him to end up taking his bike to a shop. If he were at all proficient with tools, I'd push the XS at him a little harder, but he really needs a bike that I can get running for him this summer and then requires minimal work after that.

He tells me that the XS style just doesn't fit him. He's about 5' 10" and he dropped my XS the first time I let him ride it. He asked me if there was anything he should know before he rode it. I said "Just don't drop it...It's heavy, has a lot more power than your Honda 350, and if it decides to fall, just get your ankle out of the way and don't try to catch it cuz you'll hurt your back again!" He did really well with it until he parked it. He was grinning ear to ear until it started to tip. He didn't hurt his back and he let it down easy, but it was too heavy to stop. No harm done, I'm gonna sand and paint it one of these summers anyway. The fairing had already hit the ground once or twice before I ever got the bike. After the new paint though, it's me and me alone riding it!

Back to the subject, do you guys have any experiences, wisdom, or criticism regarding the Magna?

Thanks,

I think that was a big part of deciding on a Magna. It's lower to the ground and he thinks he can flat foot it.

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

I have a V65 Sabre, 1985, and my brother has a V65 Magna, 1984. They are awesome bikes- but no easier to ride IMO than a XS! I have ridden a newer magna, they are pretty nice, but I little tiny for my taste (6'3", 275)

If he is dropping an XS in normal riding condition, he doesn't need a different bike, ne needs a riding course!

Comment

I sold an interceptor to get another 1100. There is a huge difference in the riding, and maintenance, of the bikes. The Honda dealer wanted as much for a full tune up as I paid for the bike!! The honda has to be taken apart, including the radiator, in order to adjust the valves!
      Have your brother take the motorcycle safety course, and then have him by an XS. Once he learns a few of the "tricks", the eleven is easy to ride. I think you will also find that with a minimum of maintanance, the XS will last for a long time. If there is a good Yamaha dealer nearby, any work you don't feel you can do, such as sync the carbs, should not cost much.
      If he was to get as "S" model, and put on shorter shocks, he should fit easily. I'm 5'11", and have no problem with my 79 standard. In fact, I'm thinking of installing longer shocks, to get a little more ground clearance.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am 5'10". I have no problem with the xs. I am stocky though. Lift alot of weights. Not sure if that helps or not, just cool to be able to bench over 400 lbs. Helps to get out of alot of situations.

I rode a buddy's magna 750 and it seemed like a pretty nice ride. Not sure of the year, but it was way newer that the xs. Not near as much pull or low end grunt. It had aftermarket forward controls installed kinda like a chopper! (not). Was pretty comfortable around town. Would not do distances on it. Tell your potential new xs owner that if I can learn to maintain one, anyone can!
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

i had the v65 smagma once, it was cool and hauled pretty good ass... but it was way not easer to service! picking those carbs out from between that V and the upper frame was a real pain in the clams
          sounds like he needs to earn more experiance ..a 650 maxim would be a good next step [steps are good] , these are inexpensive and easy to maintain, kind of fast and pretty cool too
          ..you will usualy get your money back when its time to sell or trade up

Comment

Early magna's has serious cam problems but I was not longer working on Honda's for a living by 90 so I'm not sure if they ever fixed it.

I'd check into it before I bought one.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
              Early magna's has serious cam problems but I was not longer working on Honda's for a living by 90 so I'm not sure if they ever fixed it.

I'd check into it before I bought one.

Geezer
              I got an oil kit on my Sabre for the cams. They are DEFINATELY harder to work on than the XS, no doubt about it! I plan on putting on a 4 into 1 exhaust on the V65 this next winter, and it is a major undertaking. I could do it in four hours with coffee breaks on the XS LOL

It is really an apples and oranges comparison. But really, let's get to the heart of the problem- he is climbing on big bikes with limited skill and experiance.

He really needs a riders course- and an XS should be a pretty forgiving bike if not hot rodded.

Comment

AFAIK the later 750 Magnas had de-tuned VFR engines in them. VF750 and VF500 had cam trouble. Anyway, the 1990+ machines had geartrain instead of camchains and the problem was solved.
                Very nice, reliable engines, would do silly miles with regular maintanance, but when something goes wrong, they're a nightmare to work on. Probbably one of the more complicated motorcycle engines ever. But I guess honda is used to that (CBX1000). Would I want one... sure. Not a magna tho... VFR. Rode a friends 1989 VFR 750. Yumyum.... yum! The best handling bike I've ridden so far. Don't want to ride it anymore tho, makes me want to buy one and I have no money.
                If he gets a nice one from the 1st owner that's been reguralry serviced, he should be OK. But keep in mind, just changing the plugs is a whole afternoon job. Have him check out kawasaki zephyr 1000. The nicest almost new bike IMHO. Has the look of the old Z. Not sure bout the seat height, but I think its lower than the XS. If he can afford it, then a nice old Z900. OK, I'm gonna drool now.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Magna?

I own a '96 Magna. I bought it with a salvaged title and 900 miles. The bike is solid as a rock. It does sit low, especially if you install a Corbin gunfighter style saddle. There is plenty of power in that detuned Interceptor engine. New pipes and the correct shims or jets and your good to go.

There is a forum on Delphi and one called the Magna Riders Association (MRA), that will have quite a bit of info for him re: this ride. The only mechanical issue was with a ticking sound in the '94's, otherwise since that was addressed, the bike has been the same through 2004.

My bike has gone through several changes over the years, but the one thing that remains constant, is that it fires up and goes 24-7. He should be able to find a good used one any where from $2,500-$4,000. Lower price than that and he'll probably end up with alot of miles and/or a beat on ride. Just gotta keep his eyes open.

Hell, I'd sell him mine if it was fall/winter. I'll need funds to start a custom chop, and this would be the start. I rode a Maxim back in the day, and that bad boy ran tight. Tell your friend good luck.
                  Sel

Comment

Working...
                  X