Hello from Alaska!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Alaska!

Newbie to the site, have a couple of bikes, just was given a running XS 1100, logged on to this site to gain some info about them- I know nothing whatsoever about these bikes.

It is shaft drive with a seized differential unit. I have no idea what year it is yet, I will have to look at the title and VIN.

Will be lurking and asking/posting newbie questions about this bike, so be patient with me! LOL

The final drive from any year XS11/XJ11 will fit, and work properly. there are always some on ebay, and they are not expensive. They don't usually fail. Here is one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35592

Comment

Hey there Cruising Ram,

Welcome to the Group! Please check out the tech tips, not just the link in the left hand column, but also go to the main FORUM page, and scroll down, and you'll find lots of tips on maintainance and repairs! Also, there is a great search funtion on the bottom of each Forum section. Many topics have already been covered, so try a simple search of one word and review what shows up!

You described a frozen/locked up "differential", but what you're probably referring to is the Middle Gear section, where the drive shaft attaches to the engine/trans just in front of the swingarm! It is prone to getting burned up IF it is allowed to run out of 80-90wt hypoid oil!

But sometimes the rear wheel can be locked due to a frozen rear brake! Can you spin the rear wheel at all? You say it's a running machine, so we can assume that the engine runs, but perhaps dies when trying to let out the clutch in 1st gear!? Pull the rear caliper off first....you may need to bleed/release the caliper bleeder screw to be able to loosen the caliper piston and pads.

Next, you can pull off the spring retainers around the rubber U-joint dust cover, and get access to the 4 bolts that secure the driveshaft/ujoint to the middle gear. Unbolting it may be difficult IF you can't turn the rear wheel/driveshaft, but once you get them undone, then you can verify that the FINAL drive still works by now spinning the rear wheel and the driveshaft should turn. This will then essentially verify that the Middle Gear section is TOAST! Good Luck.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

This was a last second deal- I just loaded it up on my trailer and took off with it after starting it. I pulled off the gas tank, checked the oil, ran a fuel line to the carbs from a clean gas can, pulled the plugs, cleaned them, set them to what seemed to be a good gap LOL- no info there-put a battery in it with a charger, and turned it over a bunch and eventually it kicked off!

Somethings going on in the rear end, no doubt, clunky getting it up on the trailer.

Thanks for the link to e-bay, I have a couple of projects going, and will do the indetify and stuff then will let it set for a week or two while I finish up my other projects first LOL

Comment

Finish a project?

What are you, sick?

Comment

My 1975 Z1 Kawasaki is almost finished- already running, after being dismantled and left in storage for 15 years. I have a "daily driver" bike - a V65 Sabre- but it is 20 years old and needs about a week of TLC. I will drive the Kawi while the honda is being worked on LOL

So, you XS owners- tell me, why do you own one? What makes them cool to you?

I cant post pics on this thread I suppose.

Comment

Why do I own Two XS11s?

At first it was just because I was riding an XS750 Special, but I felt cramped on it. I just happened to see an XS11 in a parking lot one day, and I pulled in and parked next to it. I compared the appearence, and I liked the 11. I thought 'one day I'm gonna get me one of these'. A few months later (Dec 90)I found a running rat XS11, so I bought it for $500, and put 150 or so hours, and about a thousand bucks into it. I did all the work myself, long before the 'net or this site were around. I don't need a 'penis extension' (hd) or some rediculous crotch rocket, so I never ever thought of replacing it. It is a good looking bike, and I keep it well maintained. I don't own it because I think it the baddest bike there is. There are badder, faster, and quicker, but I own it because it has been very good to me, and I couldn't replace for what I have in it. That's why I own two XS11 Specials.

Comment

welcome!

I own mine b/c it was given to me. It had caught on fire and was not running. I did about 75 percent of the work gettting her back on the road. I get lots of compliments, people seem to like the nostalgia! I do like Harleys, I can't lie, but everyone has one, and they are too easy. Easy to buy, easy to find parts for etc. I like to stick out a little. I aslo like to blow the doors off of Harleys!
                Travis Miller
                1978 E

Comment

Great answers- I like most bikes, but not Hardleys really too much LOL

It looks like this bike might become a trike for a guy that is slightly disabled and can't ride a bike.

So the shaft drive, power and size are about perfect.

I guess this is not an open pic posting board- I will try to link pics as we do it.

Comment

You can post pics here.
                    Click the IMG link above your text window then enter the web location of the file.
                    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                    07 V-star 1100
                    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Not a trike... these things that most americans do with bikes turning into trikes is criminal IMHO. Get what everybody here does... get a VW beetle engine, put some open pipes on, some nice fat tires (375 or so, F1 work too), make the frame and off you go. Even the smallest VW engine will burn off just about anything on four wheels. One for sale here... a bit far, but there are pics. And there are nicer trikes around.

http://www.avto.net/2004/motornakole....asp?id=33235#

I like you taste tho.... Z1 is cute.... eh well... Id have one of those, and a CB1 and I alredy got an XS11, and a MG LM850, and maybe a VFR.

LP
                      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Trikes

Strom.... I feel more comfortable with the trike coversions of 4 to 3 wheels somehow too.

As for VW beetles tho' it's much more fun to leave some of the original on show.....

I did see on old Porsche trike with the back end of the car still in place last summer.... now that would be fun!
                        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                        Guzzi 850
                        Z1000

Comment

This will be a pretty clean trike- my buddy had an ear injury that doesn't allow him to ride bikes- but he does fine on trikes. The entire wheel base will only be about 12 inches longer than stock.

Here is a link to the Z1 pics:

http://www.kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23358
                          Last edited by CruisingRam; 05-12-2005, 08:58 AM.

Comment

This is a two parter.

I ride the XS11 because I rode a 750 triple and felt it was underpowered for my purposes. I have been extremely happy with the bike since I bought it. It is smooth, powerful and comfortable for an all day ride. No one else can say their engine runs backwards.

As to the trike, could your friend handle a side car rig? It might be quicker and easier than building a trike.

Ralph

Comment

Side cars are very difficult to find up here- and he really has his heart set on a trike. I have been doing alot of research on trikes, and I think I have a pretty cool design set up.

Comment

Working...
                              X