My Basket Case 79SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey T.C.,
    My 79 Special also have the 4 holed nozzel in all 4 carbs, but the carbs that were on my partster bike 79 Special with 78 engine and 78 carburetors. These carbs had the 3/2 combo holed nozzels with 137.5 main jets and 42.5 pilot jets.
    Do'Lee
    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Hey Do Lee,

A spare set of 79SF carbs I had already had the parts apart and in bags, labelled for each carb, and the #4 had the 4 holes emulsion tubes, but the inner ones had the 2-3 tubes. After reconsidering...this made more sense, cause the holes allow MORE air in, and so more holes on the outside would mean they are leaner, and less holes means more fuel for the inner carbs keeping them richer and perhaps cooler! SO...I'll be putting the 4 holed ones on the outside pair!

I'll be monitoring the plugs closely, WHEN I finally get to that point, but it's going to be a while yet before it's ready to be fired up!! I've got lots still to do, clean the wiring, replace reg/rect, replace clutches, do the 1st/2nd gear fix, valve clearance, and etc.! But will keep you all posted!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well ill read all that later!! but that is a basket case to be proud of tc , that is exactly how i like em!! people still askin $500.00 over here for one like that!!and more!!!and thats if you can find em!!

i like the colour and the petina to it ,its bloody gorgouse and dont let anyone tell you different ,i am jelouse!!!
        Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

More Photos!

Hey Gaffer and others,

Okay, got the carbs all done, so here are the before and after shots....ENJOY!

T. C. Gresham

Comment

oh those carbs are beutifull!!!bit scared of carbs!! need that dvd tc!!
            Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Are you sure that's the same set of carbs???

Super job TC, they look great!
              Don
              99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

hi top cat, i have a 79 standard and a 79 special. the small holes in the emulsion tubes are for air, not fuel. i found a thread on here that shows the passages, a very good color pic, cant remember where. more holes makes it leaner, put those on the outside carbs. if you spray cleaner in the pressed in air jet on inlet side, it will come out the main jet cavity.

good luck

red bandit
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

What did you clean them in?

Louis
                  "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                  brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                  '82 XJ1100J
                  LED Dir and running lights
                  LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                  Modulated H/L
                  PIAA Driving lights
                  YICS Eliminated
                  750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Hey Isippell,

Mostly in a VICE and a 2" brass wire cup brush drill bit! Due to the corrosion....it had pitted the aluminum anyways, and so I just went at it with the cup brush. The brass was soft enough not to put any heavy scratches into it, and then I used some Mother's Aluminum polish by hand, no fancy buffing wheel YET!

Like they've said, digital photos from a cheap camera can make a fair job look good!! I did use the bucket of cleaner for the parts, and slopped it on with a toothbrush for the body, and then sprayed with aerosol carb cleaner so as NOT to damage the butterfly seals or choke seals! Thanks all for the compliments. I'm working on that DVD as fast as I can....but it takes time to work on each system, and DOCUMENT it on video, etc.! Stay Tuned!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Motivated

You guys are just amazing. Now I feel like crap for whining about how tough it is to get my bike back together! Seeing you guys take these things and make them more than just roadworthy but actually pretty is just very motivating! Thanks!
                      I support public transportation.
                      It leaves more room for motorcycles!

Comment

Working...
                      X