Chicago suburbs finally move beyond 1980's technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago suburbs finally move beyond 1980's technology

My town FINALLY has access to broadband Internet access. As recently as last week I checked and I couldn't even get DSL service. Where I live used to be a corn field. But that was about 25 years ago. There are three of every kind of store within a 2 mile radius of me. But it was only this week that broadband became a reality.

So, ATT Broadband Internet (ATTBI for short) is the provider. I know several of you have ATTBI and I was wondering what you think? Anything I should be watching out for?

I've got it. I love it. Get your own modem (cable or DSL). ATT does not care, and it saves you $10 per month. I put in Motorola for about $80.

Then I hooked it up to a linksys router/firewall/wireless porthole. I am typing this on my laptop, laying in my bed with no cables attatched. The linksys also has ports for the hardwired ones in the office. 100mbit between wired ones, 10mbit between the wireless ones.

It rocks, and ATT has done everything they said they would--they showed up on time for the install, the billing was correct, and after he left (he hooked up the modem) it took me all of 5 minutes to be online (wireless and with the desktop).
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

JP,
      I don't know a whole lot concerning computers, my son is the expert there. Anyway , Ihave RCN cable and have not had any problems in the9 months we've had it . I don't think AT&T broadband is to much different. I say go with it. If you been using dialup, you're going to love the speed of broadband.

Comment

OK.. different SPs here.. but the same concept.

I have a LanCity cable modem (ugly sob, but it works) hooked to a server, then from a server on a different NIC to a 100Mb switch and on to 3-5 PCs... works great. Server runs non-stop, maybe I'll put on a HP when I get the time...

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I've had AT&T Broadband for a little over a year and a half. The installation was a fiasco when they sent three contractors (Larry, Moe, and Curly I think). After they left I spent several hours on the phone getting it to work. Once it was working I haven't had any more problems.

With a Linksys router and an additional hub I've had up to 7 PCs online at once. My son is a huge bandwidth hog but nobody's complained yet.

Just as an FYI - Comcast and ATT Broadband are doing the merger thing. By the end of the year it will be Comcast running the show.
          Steve Warren Lawrenceville GA
          http://home.attbi.com/~stevewarren/
          2002 VF750C
          1977 GL1000 CWC#449

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonrider
            I've got it. I love it. Get your own modem (cable or DSL). ATT does not care, and it saves you $10 per month. I put in Motorola for about $80.
            It seems you were right up until about a month ago. They've apparently changed the pricing structure so that there's only a $3 difference (down from $10) between the lease rate and non-lease rate. At that rate the payout is more than 2 years down the road. The way technology is changing I'm not sure it's worth the three dollar difference.

Comment

$3 !! You could buy an XS for that!
              Gary Granger
              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
              X