Editing posts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing posts....

Ok, so why can't we edit our own posts? I don't really see the advantage to having this feature enabled only for admins. If I see something that I want to fix, or a link that I messed up, why should I have to wait for some moderator to come along and fix it for me?

This is a feature that should be turned on immediately for sanity sake alone. I have never seen an online forum in all my years of BBSing that you couldn't edit your own post.
    Yes, of course!
    65.22%
    No, I like being at the mercy of admins and others.
    4.35%
    I don't post, so it doesn't matter.
    0.00%
    I don't care about the issues at hand.
    4.35%
    I don't care because I'm a stupid, fat, lazy American.
    26.09%

Erric,

Is that a laden post or an unladen post?

Seriously, you can't edit your own posts?

The setting allows you to edit you own posts for up to 2 mins with out the edited by xxx from appearing, after that it shows it was edited by xxx. The only exception is the title post, under the current settings you have 5 mins to edit it, this is to protect the other posters on the thread. Editing includes deleting so if the title thread is deleted then all following posts are deleted as well. You should be able to edit any post that is not the title post at any time. Try it out and see, if you have an emergency and need something edited that is a title post (after 5 min), contact a moderator or admin to do it for you. Do you think these setting should be modified?
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Hey there Eric,
      There is also the standard feature of being able to preview the post before it is actually submitted, so that you can proofread it and insert changes as desired.

SO big deal if a post has an error in it. I saw several typos in one from one of the admins, as long as you can understand it, who really cares about typos and such?? And 'we' can always post a correction reply.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix

Seriously, you can't edit your own posts?

The setting allows you to edit you own posts for up to 2 mins with out the edited by xxx from appearing, after that it shows it was edited by xxx. The only exception is the title post, under the current settings you have 5 mins to edit it, this is to protect the other posters on the thread. Editing includes deleting so if the title thread is deleted then all following posts are deleted as well. You should be able to edit any post that is not the title post at any time. Try it out and see, SNIPPED
        Okay, Gary,
        I just tried to access (within 1 minute of posting it) and edit that last message and it told me I didnt' have permission to access that page, so apparently we can't edit our posts, only admins, unless that feature belongs with the "PAID" subscription version of membership??
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ok I tried it too as a regular member and could not edit, will be checking this out. You should be able to edit according to the settings.........must be some other reason. Thanks for letting us know....stay tuned
          Gary Granger

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
            Ok I tried it too as a regular member and could not edit, will be checking this out. You should be able to edit according to the settings.........must be some other reason. Thanks for letting us know....stay tuned
            Thank you mister .... see, I'm not the only one!

Besides, I'm a prefectionist.

Comment

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
              You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
              If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
              Logged in user: ErricZ [logout]

Forgotten your password?

==========================================

This is the error I get. Even at the bottom of the page where is says what is enabled and what is disabled. "You may post new threads. You may post replies. You may not post attachments. You may not edit your posts."

Comment

And good to know that we have a bunch of stupid, fat, lazy Americans around here. Sorry I didn't include Canadians too, you guys must feel left out.

Comment

OK, now you can edit for up to 5 minutes on all posts, 2 minutes without the edited by appearing.
                  Gary Granger

Comment

Awesome....thank you sir!

Tested and working!

Comment

Working...
                    X