26 years later, I finally have my XS Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26 years later, I finally have my XS Eleven

When I was in high school in the '70s, I had a neighbor, Mr. Hudson, who rode motorcycles. He could see I was interested, so one day he gave me all of his motorcycle magazines. Reading through all of the road tests, I fell in love with the XS Eleven. But I was just a kid and I couldn't buy a bike. I graduated, joined the Air Force, traveled around the world, learned to ride, and got out. Life got in the way as it often does, but about 5 years ago, I got back into it by buying a '75 Gold Wing. But I still wanted an XS Eleven. Just three days ago, I finally got one.

I found it at a used bike shop near Seattle, where they had a blue '79 standard with fairing, hard bags and top trunk for sale for $995. I couldn't pass it up. It now sits in front of my house and I couldn't be happier. I've made the list of things that need to be replaced, fixed and looked into before it's truly roadworthy, but it runs and everything is there. I'm calm on the outside, but inside, I'm doing the biggest Happy Dance you ever saw.
    1979 XS11F Hazuki ('cause she's always trying to make me her slave.)

Welcome to the site! The folks here are great to work problems through with.
    Don
    99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Hey I know how you feel. Got my first XS1100 last Sept and winter was never longer. As another newbe to the club I welcome you, and as don07tncav said this is a great site with many who are willing to help
      It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
      81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
      82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
      82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Got my Special last summer from my brother in law. First bike, took a course, dealt with the learning curve and have been having a great time with it. This great group of people have been a tremendous help to a first timer learning about this machine, asking my many questions. Welcome

Sort of on the same topic, I've been wondering why many people
        discourage learning on an XS. I remember needing to get used to 560 pounds under me instead of a 30 lb. bicycle as a large part of it. Regarding the power, unless one has little control over the workings of his right hand, I'm not sure I understand the difference between learning on this or on a 250 like they had for the MSF course.
        Dean
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Hey there Martialstax,

Congrats and welcome to the "Happy" group!! No question is too small or petty, the only dumb one is the one NOT asked! We would like to direct you to the Tech Tips sections, from the MAIN FORUM page, not necessarily the left border links!! Take some time and browse thru them ALL, you will find many of the commonly asked questions about maintainance and such already answered there! Then at the bottom of the Tech discussion forum is a SEARCH feature, it will bring up all previous posts on any subject you look for!

Dean, many newbies are NOT like you in their ability to control that right hand twist action, and can get themselves into serious and even fatal situations very fast with disregard to what happens when you crank on that handle. Some of the newbies are quite young and ALL THEY WANT IS POWER AND SPEED, and they're the ones that really need the MSF courses to learn how to handle what the XS11 can deliver. Glad you are level headed enough to have done well with your machine, and we hope everyone else who is STARTING out with an XS11 as their first bike is able to have the same restraint when applying the throttle!
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your welcomes. I'll be doing a lot of reading in this site, looking for all the help, tips and hints I can find. If I still have a question, I'll be sure to ask.

Comment

Got my book Autographed by Bob Jones

XS Eleven Heaven

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merriamcycle/index.htm
              "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

That looks like a book I'll have to pick up. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X